• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First bit of Vishera (Piledriver) news

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frakk

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2204765/amd-vishera-chip-running-at-5ghz-is-spotted

AMD Vishera chip running at 5GHz is spotted

AMD already has 5GHz Vishera chips running.
AMD's Vishera CPU is expected to tip up later this year and the firm already has a watercooled chip running at 5GHz. The part, which The INQUIRER has seen running stable, is a watercooled Vishera chip, though the firm admitted that the demonstration chip wasn't running at stock speed.

According to our source the Vishera chip is based on the Piledriver architecture but will not be factory clocked at 5GHz, which seems to tally with marketing materials that have surfaced. However the source said that water cooling will be required to hit the 5GHz clock speed that we saw running stable while running benchmarks.
The Inquirer

AMD's Bulldozer based chips have disappointed but they are renowned for overclockability. Should the firm manage to produce Piledriver chips that can again easily be overclocked with prepackaged watercooling, that might pique the interest of overclockers who fancy the challenge of hitting high frequencies.

AMD is expected to launch the Vishera processor sometime in October
The Inquire

Thanks for being on look-out.

AMD Vishera chip running at 5GHz is spotted = Uh Duh! That was supposed to be true for BD from all the pre-release of BD.

However the source said that water cooling will be required to hit the 5GHz clock speed that we saw running stable while running benchmarks. = Uh HuH ! At least they are saying this before hand. Not like most of the previous hypeOla for BD.

AMD is expected to launch the Vishera processor sometime in October = Uh Yeah, believe that when I see them for sale on NewEgg at about a 20% bump in price like every new release gets.

I've been waiting and looking around for some news on Vishera as well. Wondering if it will even be worth a look at when they finally roll out. I figure I'll probably end up waiting on steamroller. Of course reading that watercooling will be needed makes me think I need to start researching that and look into getting that rolling.

Thanks for being on look-out.

AMD Vishera chip running at 5GHz is spotted = Uh Duh! That was supposed to be true for BD from all the pre-release of BD.

However the source said that water cooling will be required to hit the 5GHz clock speed that we saw running stable while running benchmarks. = Uh HuH ! At least they are saying this before hand. Not like most of the previous hypeOla for BD.

AMD is expected to launch the Vishera processor sometime in October = Uh Yeah, believe that when I see them for sale on NewEgg at about a 20% bump in price like every new release gets.

Spot the cynic in the room :D

I'm coming over to talk to you..... we can moan and complain all night while the young people have fun.

The main thing I got out of this was information. There was previously speculation that the Resonant Clock Mesh technology they were implementing would bring down power consumption at the cost of limiting overclocking potential, since the resonance is tuned for a specific frequency range. Seeing one of these running at 5Ghz, even on a meh watercooling system brings me hope we will still get our OCing fun.

If I was hurting for an upgrade I might be vexed with the whole BD flop and PD wait, but my little unlocked Deneb keeps humming right along doing all I ask of it. So luckily for me I can afford to wait and see what we get in the next 6 months or so before making a purchase.

Back