• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build ever, brand new to PC from console. Input appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im happy with my r9 270 im even happier since i over clocked it. Yes i want a 970 but my budget couldn't afford it.

Cant go wrong either way imo.

$420 was pretty high for a 970 could of got one for around $350.....

Im happy with my r9 270 im even happier since i over clocked it. Yes i want a 970 but my budget couldn't afford it.

Cant go wrong either way imo.

$420 was pretty high for a 970 could of got one for around $350.....

Well considering 350USD is about 440CAD, I paid around 330USD.
I figured I'd start my build around a damn decent GPU that i can keep for a long time to come and go from there.

Alright well after reading all that, and specifically considering this obviously is just an entry into the pc world for me, im reverting to the AMD fx6300 for its cost, since i really cant justify 8 cores even for the price. Ive also read bf4 was optimized for AMD cards (?) so i figured why not save a bit of money. Either way im sure it will play better than my console. Eventually i'll upgrade to an intel mobo and cpu but amd is fine for my intentions at the moment i believe.
I'll be purchasing the rest of my build within the next few weeks, as i just spent some coin on a small bargain on the GV-N970G1 GTX 970 and picked it up for $419.99. Should be great for the 1080p i plan to run no matter what other components i get.

Hard to go wrong with the 6300. But the stock heatsink that comes withe the 8320 can run the 8320 at stock, thats what its for.
But if you plan on getting the i5 or i7 don't waste your time with the 6300. Thats a lot of money to waste. ( I guess you could sell it?) If you mean in like 3+ years by that time your gpu will be out of date too.

Either way you should be happy with your PC. Good luck!

Oh and the whole battlefield 4 thing is that they integrated Mantle into the engine so the game takes advantage of 8 core CPUs and runs a lot better on AMD GPUs than before. But it will run on intel and or nvidia just fine.

Hard to go wrong with the 6300. But the stock heatsink that comes withe the 8320 can run the 8320 at stock, thats what its for.
But if you plan on getting the i5 or i7 don't waste your time with the 6300. Thats a lot of money to waste. ( I guess you could sell it?) If you mean in like 3+ years by that time your gpu will be out of date too.

Either way you should be happy with your PC. Good luck!

Oh and the whole battlefield 4 thing is that they integrated Mantle into the engine so the game takes advantage of 8 core CPUs and runs a lot better on AMD GPUs than before. But it will run on intel and or nvidia just fine.

Yea since I'm not into this too hardcore at the moment I was thinking this build will be for at least the next 3 years. I just want something that will run BF4 and other fps games on high to ultra settings with 60 or more fps. From my research this build should work well.
So far I've settled on this http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/gLZCvK and am in the process of collecting the parts.

In real terms, there is a big difference. Temperature threshold for AMD is also a lot lower (65C vs say 85C). There are little 'pros' to the amount of heat an AMD octo core CPU puts out, particularly when overclocking.

A recommended max treeshold got not much meaning, the throttling temp (TJ max) is the matter that will truly make some lawful actions. FX6300 as far as i know should start to throttle at 83C, a 4690K in coimparison is at TJ max of 100C, difference is 17 C. But 80+ C is the spot when a cooler can reach high efficiency so in real terms the FX6300 should not become problematic with any adequate cooler, the highest cooler performance should be kicking in before the TJ max is being hit. I see not much reason for lot of worry... if it truly is a issue, then show me a proof, and i mean on a standart clocked CPU, not some "mad clocked beast" that most of the users will never use because overkill. As long as the throttling temp can be avoided, then there is no issues...

Last edited:
Alright well I have my build settled and now I'm picking up parts. Crappiest part about living where I do (northern canada) is that although pcpartpicker shows the lowest prices "including shipping", shipping drastically changes when coming to me. I'm talking like minimum 70+ dollars shipping for every single one of those sites. Newegg had the highest at $180:eek:.

Thankfully I was able to find all of the build on amazon, and although the retail was slightly higher in some cases, the lower shipping (sometimes free) offset the cost for a better deal.

One last question; is it possible to boot an OS on to a brand new build from a flash drive, using the windows installation media tool? All I've ever been able to find was using a disc, and I've never OS'd a brand new hard drive with only BIOS..

You can download 8.1 straight from Microsoft and put it on a bootable flash drive.

I know a cooler wont help my FPS directly, but to my understanding in order to run more FPS, I'd need to overclock. To overclock would mean run hotter, and in that capacity I assume it would help indirectly.

It depends on the game and resolution as to how much, if any, overclocking the CPU would help out FPS.

You mention BF4, and it doesn't respond much to CPU overclocking..http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

I'm not saying don't do it, this is overclockers.com and all, but just to give you an idea in BF4 what it does/doesn't do. There can be more significant gains in other RPG MMO type games.

I wasnt planning on overclocking in the near future anyways, as I'm still very new to all this and dont know what other games I'll be playing yet. All the better if it doesnt really respond to it. From what i can tell the GTX 970 Oc and the fx6300 should be able to do much better than 60fps @1080 so thats perfect for me for now.

Edit: Build is completely ordered and on the way. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/jrwsBm
Ordered the Enermax Ostrog GT in blue (not listed on pcpartpicker) mainly because it was cheap and comes with three fans. Plus I like the look.

Back