• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build, fastest storage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duvrazh

Hey everyone, I'm building a Godbox within the next month or so and I can't quite figure out what to make of my storage choices. Here are the specs of the system.

POWER SUPPLY: XION AXP-1000R14HE 1000w POWER SUPPLY
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
CPU: Intel Core I7 975 3.33 GHz 6.4GT
RAM: CORSAIR Dominator GT 6GB DDR3 2000
GPU: BFG BFGEGTX2951792H2OCWE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 H2 OC
NPU: EVGA Killer Xeno Pro Network Processing Unit 400MHz

That motherboard has 6 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports, Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10. Money is object, I don't really want to break $500 to $600 on hard disks. I also feel no obligation to use all 6 slots, as whatever I don't use could just be 1TB+ large file storage (I do a lot of Torrent downloading).

What would be the absolute fastest method of Raid 0 for an up to 6 slot configuration while staying in the $600 range?

ps - Do you think that power supply is overkill? My first build, so I just kind of highballed that one.

Thanks for all your help.

2 SSD RAID-0 would be the best option for your OS drive. You can get a couple of 1TB for storage.

Back