• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build in over 15 years. *Opinions wanted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c0nes

Decided to get back into PC gaming after about a 15 year hiatus. Used to build my own PC's but its been awhile. Just looking for some help, advice, suggestions. My current plan is a Micro ATX.

Chassis - Bitfenix Micro ATX Phenom
PSU - Corsair CX Series 500 Watt ATX/EPS Modular CX500M
MOBO - ASUS Asus GRYPHON Z97
Processor - Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz 6MB Cache Quad-Core
Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
HDD/SSD - Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III

As far as the GPU, thats probably going to come down to price/deal at the time of purchase. Currently considering Geforce GTX 970, Radeon R9 280x, GeForce GTX 760.

Fans, the plan was 230mm on bottom, 120mm on back, 2 120mm's on top.

Any advice, better suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Why not go with a k series cpu for overclocking potential, You already got a board and cpu cooler covered. And GPU wise with the way the new cards are it would deffinitely benefit saving up for at least the 970.

Wasn't really planning to overclock. Is it a pretty significant performance boost?

Its free performance. Depending on the tasks it could be somewhat significant in some instances. With my cpu I can see close to 10fps jump in certain games running at 4.8 compared to 3.9.

Cool, thanks for the advice. Ill definitely take it into consideration. Looks like the K series is only about 30$ more. As far as the other parts go, are there cheaper equivalents out there, or even cheaper ones that are better?

Well for the most part cpu , gpu, and psu should be where you don't skimp necessarily. Depending on how much performance you want. No if your wanting a basic gaming rig that is in a lower budget you could go amd but it's all preference. Intel has better single core performance but a lot of games are starting to use multiple cores.

- - - Updated - - -

Mostly depends on your budget and how much you want to spend.

Wasn't really planning to overclock. Is it a pretty significant performance boost?
It can be...

But if you are not going to overclock, why spend money on an aftermarket cooler?

I would also go with the 970... newer, faster, and less power hungry than the cards you listed.

There is nothing there i would go 'cheaper' on.

Like I said been awhile since my last build. Which I had overheating problems with. I assumed I needed a cooler no matter what. That doesn't appear to be the case. That's why I'm here. ;)

Back