• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First ever computer build. Need some advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nannes

Hi, guys. I am going to get into some programming, and I am going to build my own computer that fits my needs.

I want to get into Linux later and all of that.

Can someone please give me some pointers that I need to think about before I go. Ahead?

/F.

For hardware, what is your budget? Any carryover parts? Are you going to be gaming as well? A bit more information will help us help you. :)

One thing I've noticed is that Linux doesn't generally like AMD. The more experienced users can get Linux to run fine on AMD hardware with AMD video, but for your first foray into the OS, I recommend Intel/Nvidia (if you go dedicated video).

Programming doesn't take the most extreme of hardware, though the faster the hardware the less time you spend waiting for the system. Are there any other uses, as ED asked? And again, budget and carryovers?

Can you be more specific about what you want the system to do? Any other uses other than programming? Can you answer Earthdog's questions?
Do you need a monitor, mouse, keybo, speakers? Do you need wifi and bluetooth? How much do you want to spend total for everything you need?
Do you have a copy of the operating system you want to use (ie, Windows)? If you don't have Windows, do you want to buy Windows?
Do you live near a Microcenter? Are you in the continental United States? If not, what country are you in and what store (link the website plz) are you ordering from?

Back