• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First ever Gaming PC build - Advice needed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heat63

Hello! This is my first post here at Overclockers.net. I have been browsing for a while trying to learn as much as I could. I have never built my own PC so I'm a bit of a noob. I have wanted to do my own tower build for a while now. Specifically, a high performance gaming tower. I would also like to learn how to overclock to safe levels. I have set a budget of about $1500 (money isn't a huge issue, but I want to stay reasonable as there's no need for me to spend more than what I need, especially when technology changes so rapidly, at the same time I still must have all very high quality parts).

I already have an OS, monitor,mouse,keyboard. I have done quite a bit of research over the past few weeks on each part and on highly recommended components. Here is my tentative build below. There are a few pieces I am seeking advice on and those are noted below. It would be incredibly helpful and awesome if I could get some advice from some of you knowledgeable people here.

Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 912 | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

I'm up in the air with this. It looks like a solid case and is extremely cheap at under 60 bucks. As long, as it will fit the components I want, I think I would be happy with it. At the same time, please let me know If any of the parts I've chosen will have a problem with this mid case. Also, if there is another case someone really recommend under 100 bucks, please let me know. It must be a mid tower though. I watched a review and it said this case didn't have a removable motherboard tray. Is this something I should be concerned about or may be a nice feature to have?

PSU - Corsair AX850 | http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&Tpk=ax850

I've read a PSU is worth a good investment, however I'm still confused on how to measure the wattage needed. Will 850w be enough If i want to do some further add ons? I guess I'd rather go over than cut it close. Again, any insight or recommendations on a PSU would be great.

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

Pretty much settled on this one after doing a bit of research. Lol @ my previous view on i5 vs i7. Hoping to overclock to 4.2-4.5ghz.

MOBO - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

These are the kind of products I get excited about. Is this a worthy motherboard? Price is killer, and seems highly recommended around here. Seems to have everything I need. Any concerns?

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231429

Is this the best memory I can get? Anyone recommend or have any other favorite brands? Would I ever need more than 16gb?

HSF - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Still researching this one. I've seen this cooler mentioned a lot. Is a cpu cooler all I need to moderately overclock to say 4.2-4.5ghz? I've read this isn't the best but would work for moderate overclocking and I would be okay with spending up to maybe 70-80 on a fan depending on the performance I could get out of it. Which is the best guys?

GPU - EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130769

Any insight here? A pre-overclocked card looks like the best bet for me. I understand 2gb is enough if I'm only at 1080p. Any thoughts on this? I don't want to spend over $500. Also will this card fit the case I listed? Will it fit 2 if I plan to SLI these cards down the road? Will a 850w PSU hand 2 of these SLI?

Storage - OCZ Vertex 4 256 SSD | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227792

Will be enough for me to get started. I have an extra hard drive sitting around for storage, but definitely want to get an SSD. Any favorite brands or recommended SSD's?

ODD - ASUS DVD Burner | http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

yada, yada, yada

Did I miss anything? Total right now above comes to right around $1400. I might also buy some extra case fans depending on the case I get.

I think that's it. Looking to purchase this build this week. Please let me know what you guys think and give me any advice you have! Thanks!

:attn:

Last edited:
Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.

Play the latest games at their highest settings, otherwise just basics Including web development, casual video editing, surfing and watching movies. I would also like to be able to upgrade as time goes by in the future. I would like to learn how to overclock with this build, and do so efficiently.

[*]What is your budget?

I'd like to stay under $1500 but money is not a main concern.

[*]Does this include a copy of Windows?

No, I already have one.

[*]Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
No, I already have them.

[*]Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
  1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
  2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?

1. Am from the US and plan on buying all my parts from Newegg and Amazon.

[*]Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    Most requests I already mentioned in the OP but..

Would particularly like input on whether the case I get will fit an overclocked gtx690 gpu and possibly room to SLI them in the future, but not really likely. Would also like to know if 850W will be enough for all the components I listed, plus SLI of the gpus if need be and extra hard drives.

I would also like recommendations on the CPU cooler, or any alternative graphics cards (if they are cheaper) that might be an option for the time being. That and the rest of what I mentioned in the OP.

Also, anyone who really loves a mid size case should let me know what you have.

[*]Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?

Yes, I would like to safely OC to 4.2-4.5 ghz or would be curious what my limits might be. I want to only use fan cooling however.

[*]Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?

Yes, somewhat, but I want to be able to fit cooling and large compenents such as graphics cards and full size mobos etc. I have decided on a "mid" tower case size as long as everything will fit fine.

[*]Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?

Not a #1 priority, but yes, I would like it to be as quiet as it can be without spending tons of excess money on parts.

[*]In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?

Both. I think the build shall be good for a good while, but I hope and plan to upgrade the same build in the future over time.

[*]Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

I may, yes. Regardless of whether I do or not, I want the ability to do so if i choose to however.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Thanks.

Back