• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Gaming Rig Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Physiqz

I am building my first gaming rig. I used to be a hardcore pc gamer, unfortunately I could not afford the components for a gaming rig and became a hardcore sony consoler. Now that I can afford to get back into PC gaming after 8 years alot has changed. I am opting to build my own pc to get the best bang for the buck and need some suggestions.

Here is what I have so far. Below the items I will list what i need help on.

Its going to be an AMD am3+ build.

PSU - Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C
Mobo- ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
CPU - AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
GPU - ASUS radeon r9 280x
Mem - G.SKILL Sniper Series 16gb (1866)
Liquid Cooling - Cooler Master Seidon 120V
SDD - Kingston SSDNow V300 120gb
HDD - Seagate Barrucuda 2tb
Optical - Asus or LG black BD-R (wifey wants a bluray burner lol)

Things I need help with -
PSU - the one listed is 129$ bronze and dont know how good it actually is, I want a 1000w gold mod, but dont want to spend 200 for one, I will be eventually crossfiring the GPU

CPU - I like the 8350, but 8350+ liquid cooling i could buy an 9370 that comes with an aztec liquid cooling system, but the 9370 is pretty much at its max and not alot of room for OC, suggestions?

Chassis - I have liked these two, other suggestions would be good, i like the blue/black scheme, and the cheaper the better
Thermaltake Overseer RX-I VN700M1W2N (full tower)
Corsair Carbide Series 500R (mid tower)

If i can find a crosshair v2 for the same price or cheaper than the sabertooth i may go with the crosshair as well...

If i get the 8350, i will be overclocking, if i get the 9370, then probably not, because i will need to invest in a much better liqcool.

Any suggestions and tips would be great.

A quality 800W is plenty for that setup. To push taht AMD CPU much past 4.5Ghz, you are going to need water anyway (you have it). A $129 1KW PSU should make you nervous. ;)

2x8GB 1866 ram is plenty.

SSD is old and slower. Samsung 840 EVO is modern and good bang for the buck.

2x8gb is plenty and also give me roomt o go to 4x8 if i ever need to :D

the 1kw psu for 129 does make me very nervouse, thats why i was looking for suggestions

also do you think 800w would be plenty when i crossfire and oc?

And I will be upgrading my HDD capacity in the future, I am trying to future-proof the system as much as possible.

Thanks for the heads up on the SDD

800w for heavily Oced cpu and 2xgpus is not enough:
200w for the 8350 and 2x300ish for the high end gpus.

800w for heavily Oced cpu and 2xgpus is not enough:
200w for the 8350 and 2x300ish for the high end gpus.

Thats what i was thinking, thats why i was opting for 1000w psu, gives me enough room and header.

With 2 7970's (which is a 280x, remember) overclocked and a 4770K at 4.9Ghz, I hit around 750W from wall peak... That is less than 700W actual use and is a peak value. I was in the 650W actual use range throughout.

This also comes from a guy that happily ran a overclocked 690 and 3570k (4.5Ghz) on a 560W PSU and the thing barely kicked its fan on (Seasonic X560).

I looked into the intel build, and for what I want to do with my system I chose the AMD, i like the 1150 socket sets with the z87 pros, just couldnt justify the cost. With AMD i have more flexability in what i would want to do and more flexability for my wallet.

So any suggestions on the chassis i have mentioned, or ur own suggestion?

So lets see what the overall prices are here, first the Mobo's!!

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

$184.49c.

2, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157372

$114.99c

3, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

$199.99

4, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899

$239.99c

Well maybe we can change the out come to suit ourselves, but this looks cheaper to me to go the Intel way. And have the latest Tech available here.

AMD = $384.48C. INTEL = $354.98C.

But as we always say on OCF the choice is yours OP!! :shrug:

I looked into the intel build, and for what I want to do with my system I chose the AMD, i like the 1150 socket sets with the z87 pros, just couldnt justify the cost. With AMD i have more flexability in what i would want to do and more flexability for my wallet.

So any suggestions on the chassis i have mentioned, or ur own suggestion?

you also have to remember a 4670k will run cooler and harder at stock than most amd cpus will. with a good overclock it will end up costing less to cool the intel than the AMD.
sidenote: i have a 4770k on air at 4.5 1.320 vcore and i only max out running prime 95 for atleast 20 min+ and thats like 90 c. just a thought initial costs maybe cheaper but you have to think in the longrun to.
also to futureproof the intel will do much better with that. people are still running 920's. you will most likely never need to change your cpu if you spring for a 4770k.

Oh this might be helpful, my budget is 1k-1.3k... My wife would like it to be as low as possible, but i was able to butter her up a little and by getting her the kindle fire hdx

I was really nervouse about a 1kw psu for 129, I know why now. Thanks

I do not know a whole lot about psu brands besides corsair, and thermaltek. I just know to add up the watts of each component for the end game at peek loads and to leave room for header and future upgrades.

850w will most likely be more than enough.

Between tigerdirect, ebay, amazon and newegg I was able to get the price down to $991, on new egg alone it is 1347. Newegg is where i built the rig so i could save in my wishlist.

I am in no rush to buy all the components together, I will be shopping around for the next 3 months and shipping the products home so when I come off the deployment I can build it. I want to futureproof as much as possible, get the best rig possible for my budget as well.

If you could build a futureproof system with intel 4770k that can perform on par with my current layout but better futureproofing, with my budget, i will gladly consider it. If i went with intel should i go with the gtx770 instead of the radeon r9 280x? Ive seen the r9 280x competing with it for a lesser cost.

the r9 780x is basically the same as the hd 7970, but im interested to see how the two performs on mantle.

The only thing to consider with the 280X is its one hot potato and chucks out quite a bit of heat!! But by the time you get back they may have like Vapor-X coolers to help out by then.

AJ.

Yeah, so would you recommend me getting an open loop instead of closed loop and buying the brackets for the 280x and water cool the cpu and gpu at some point? I think my budget just opened up some, tax free re-enlistment bonus.

And I really appreciate everyones suggestions and knowledge. It really helps. I already love this forum, and when I become a guru, I will definitly pass down my knowledge and help others as well.

look at a 6300 or a 6350 instead of the 8350, higher clocks with less heat, less to invest in cooling, most games can't use more than 4 cores.
games now are more about the memory and gpu.
I perfer a better single card over sli or crossfire.

You say you're going to Crossfire. But at what resolution? Are you planning to up your screen res or go multi-screen?

If not; I'd honestly stick to a single GPU system.

The [email protected] draws around 110w while the [email protected] draws around 200...

A heavily oced 7970/280x draws more than 300w (measure taken at the wall, 340w with a gold PSU, while mining).

I would not take the risk.

Edit: and remember, my 530w Bequiet was not cutting it with a 7970@1200 and a Thuban [email protected]...
Yeah, I still think that was a PSU failure, and not because of a lack of wattage... but that is neither here nor there.

My results were pushing the cards and the CPU to the limit. ANd while an AMD octo/hex will use more power, I still feel a 800W unit is enough allowing for ample headroom.

Back