• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First gaming rig. Help with cooling. NZXT Phantom 410

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Physics. Cooler air to the Radiator results in cooler CPU temps in a CPU only loop. Pulling room air through the rad from the room vs the warmer air through the case to the rad as exhaust is simple physics. Must be different with your setup, fannage, who knows.

No way will warm case air to the rad result in cooler temps on the CPU vs room air pulled into the rad.

Maybe your talking only the GPU temps or other Mobo chips. Your GPU must be sensitive to the 3-4C if that higher temps, maybe you need better case flow or need to watercool your GPU too.

Not sure about your full testing, but physics doesn't work like that.

Not really, hot air rises and will pool in those areas at the top of the case with no airflow, namely towards the front where the optical drives are. This hot air will heat up the top of the case and anything attached to it, typically the radiator so yes, it does in any number of circumstances cause things to run hotter. In the case I tried it with it resulted in 5-6C hotter which I believe unacceptable considering the minor drop in CPU temps drawing air from outside the case.

While this may not occur in all cases it certainly happened with me and the OP.

Last edited:
Physics. Cooler air to the Radiator results in cooler CPU temps in a CPU only loop. Pulling room air through the rad from the room vs the warmer air through the case to the rad as exhaust is simple physics. Must be different with your setup, fannage, who knows.

No way will warm case air to the rad result in cooler temps on the CPU vs room air pulled into the rad.

Maybe your talking only the GPU temps or other Mobo chips. Your GPU must be sensitive to the 3-4C if that higher temps, maybe you need better case flow or need to watercool your GPU too.

Not sure about your full testing, but physics doesn't work like that.

U need to consider a few more things.
first, airflow is plentiful in my chassis, resulting in near ambient inside, and I have a direct fan to feed air to the h100 adjacent to it from the front.

as intake, the chassis heats up, and the fact that the Rad is in the inside mount of the chassis makes the 'fans themselves' heat up more. Not to mention it is blowing near 60'C air onto the GPU, which CANNOT be good.

additional to my unique set up, is my Chassis is under my table, which the exhaust gets someone trapped and using those as intake is actually worse than using air from the front (even if it passes by the Mobo before reaching the H100.)

if your chassis has much cooler air on top, then I might see the reward of cooler air drafting in in the cost of heating up your chassis. but for me, that wasn't the case.

Can I clarify a detail please? I also am considering a H100 exhaust in a Phantom 410, with the radiator in the capacious roof. What to do with the existing exhaust fan blowing out though the roof?
1. Get another to match it in the empty fan bay next to it, also exhaust = 4 fans blowing through the H100 (Push/pull). Same issues of fan speeds as discussed above, i.e. fairly close match
2. Remove it, and leave the H100 fans to do the job
3. Leave it, one single exhaust, plus 2 on the H100

Last edited:
i left mine. I got the same 4 fans on H100(push/pull) and the 200mm on top as exhaust and it done better. WHen i flipped the 200mm fan around it rasied my temps up bout 2-4c. I would just move them all around untill you find the right combo for you.

Can I clarify a detail please? I also am considering a H100 exhaust in a Phantom 410, with the radiator in the capacious roof. What to do with the existing exhaust fan blowing out though the roof?
1. Get another to match it in the empty fan bay next to it, also exhaust = 4 fans blowing through the H100 (Push/pull). Same issues of fan speeds as discussed above, i.e. fairly close match
2. Remove it, and leave the H100 fans to do the job
3. Leave it, one single exhaust, plus 2 on the H100

Hello Eyetech,

I am a Forum Rep for NZXT (and this is my first post, too!). There's a lot of different config options for your idea. Personally, from my experience, you aren't going to see much of a difference in temps with an all-in-one unit no matter if it's intake or exhaust, and how many fans are stacked on it. Typically AIO units are going to cool within a few degrees no matter how they are set up, which is just the nature of the beast with them.

You'll have to decide for yourself how you want to mount it for ease of maintenance and cleaning. I would think on the rear panel or on the roof would be best.

Koolance also makes some handy-dandy radiator screws for fan mounting, where you put the screws on the radiator, slide the fans on the screw posts, and then clamp them down with thumb-nuts. It saves a bit of time and hassle mounting and unmounting fans to clean.

You can leave all fans and rad on/in your case as long as you can get access to real air compressor, not compressed air in a can! :) I use a real one and does great!. You can literally blow every dust bunnie out of every thing

Back