• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First loop, looking for feedback so I don't screw something up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoonFrost

Registered
20180126_232312.thumb.jpg.6fd3335bf08b177cd0aaa0a0bc1814e8.jpg

Any suggestions on anything I need to change or does this look OK? I'm concerned about draining the loop, but I can't think of a better way to do it with my specific pump and case.

I believe after I drain it, there still going to be fluid in the asus formula x, top radiator, front radiator, cpu block and surrounding tubes. I think the only thing this will drain is the resevior and graphics card (if I tip the case forward a little bit) I don't fully understand draining physics so idk what to do to make it better.

OH and the little black squares are just referencing 90 degree adapters and their direction.

Looks good for the most part. Just check the blocks to make sure the in and out are correct as this will change the effectiveness of some blocks if it is backwards. Do you plan to do this in hard tubing or soft tubing?

I would honestly skip the motherboards built in waterblocks as it will really not gain you anything and will allow for a less complicated loop.

Hard tubing, will double check ins and outs of cpu block, and I believe the ekwb asus 1080ti block said it didn't matter.

I thought about skipping the motherboard, but I liked the look of a loop I was inspired by too make this.

maxresdefault.jpg

That's what I was kinda going for, with HD fans, using a top inlet on a taller reservoir, only 1 graphics card, and a d5 pump(which is making this complicated as far as fitting a drain port.)

That is a nice looking build. How is your res/pump mounted? Could you sneak it up enough to get the drain underneath?

I honestly don't even put a drain port in my loops so I cannot be a whole lot of help for you there. I typically use soft tubing and just tear my components out once in a while to clean them.

That is a nice looking build. How is your res/pump mounted? Could you sneak it up enough to get the drain underneath?

I honestly don't even put a drain port in my loops so I cannot be a whole lot of help for you there. I typically use soft tubing and just tear my components out once in a while to clean them.

That's one of the many problems I've come across.

I was going to drill holes in the back of the case, but the corsair 570x has a slant where the cable routing goes, so I couldn't screw to a flat area.

Then I bought an EK UNI bracket to mount it to the radiator. Only to find out the 1080ti is too long and is going to hit the resevior.

So now I have the EK UNI vertical bracket, mounted to the bottom of the case as seen in my picture it isn't mounted yet, I just shoved it in there to see if it was going to work, it's crooked because the air cooler for graphics card is in the way, but will have enough clearance when I install the waterblock.

So I wish I could sneak a tube somehow underneath, but there's isn't any room I don't think. Plus idk where I would connect it to behind the pump. Im not home now, but if I could fit a tube under the pump, where would that tube lead to?

Last edited:
Some rads have a port on the opposite side of the main connections for use as a bleed or drain point. I'm not sure if yours has one or not. If not you probably have the best drain point picked already.

Nope, only 1 outlet and 1 inlet :c

Using the pump inlet as the drain port in the picture.

Nope, only 1 outlet and 1 inlet :c

Using the pump inlet as the drain port in the picture.

Use the pump's outlet as the drain port, not the inlet. Add a Y splitter and attach a valve to the other side of it so you'll have easy access to drain it.

Use the pump's outlet as the drain port, not the inlet.

I was told it didn't matter by a few people. I don't think I have a choice tbh, there's no room for a splitter on the outlet

My decision was based on flushing the loop as well, instead of filling and draining multiple times until the fluid becomes clear if I had drain port on outlet, I could force distilled water through the entire loop, pushing out the old fluid into the reservoir and then out the drain port

I dunno who told you it didn't matter, but it does in a way. The outlet is the better choice as gravity will do a better job as opposed to the inlet.

But hey, do what you think is best. Good luck with it.

I dunno who told you it didn't matter, but it does in a way. The outlet is the better choice as gravity will do a better job as opposed to the inlet.

But hey, do what you think is best. Good luck with it.

I look into it again. But I tried putting a splitter where the outlet was and couldn't figure out a way to position the drain, if I had it facing outwards it hit the glass, positioned down was nearly touching the bottom of the case, with no room to attach a fitting to route the drain out of the case. I'll tinker with it again when I get home

Alright, I moved some stuff around so that the drain is coming out of the outlet. I think there's enough room for some soft tubing to connect to the drain valve. Would the outlet meet too much resistance going straight into a T splitter like that,
or does it not matter? 20180128_040452.jpg
Alternatively I could put a piece of soft tubing between the T splitter and the drain valve and just tuck it away.* Unno what would look better. I'm bad at designing asthetically.

Last edited:
I like use a t or y adapter to rotating 90 to valve. Allows you to rotate the valve out of re way. 0128181215.jpg

Last edited:
I like that idea, however my T fitting in that picture is nearly against the glass, don't think I could fit your solution

Put the rotating 90 where your valve is pointed down and toward the back of the case. Attach valve to 90. Shouldn't hit the glass and then you can pull off glass and rotate it out to drain?
10687.jpeg 10686.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah, I see what you mean. I might actually do that. I think I have 1 extra 90 degree rotary fitting I could use. That'll even allow me to have a straight horizontal tube as well for a clean look

Your first drain example is fine unless it was hitting the glass cover.

The way it works is, you release the top fitting on the reservoir and proceed to do the same at the lowest point should allow gravity to do what it knows best. Some case movement will help with the process. If you were to tip the case almost on its back, that should allow the fluid from the radiators to exit. Just be careful when you're doing all of this with the top of the reservoir open.

Back