• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First New Build in some time.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kris

As the title says this is my first new build in a while.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
32 Gigs Gskill RipJaws 3600 cas 16
Crucial P1 NVME 1TB
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
Cooler Master ML120L-Not planning on overclocking at the moment
XFX 5700XT Thicc III
Seasonic Focus 750W 80 Gold

I am anticipating a large gain in performance of the rig in my sig.

I would pony up a bit more for your motherboard and go x570 make sure the RAM you want is AMD friendly

Along with the motherboard and RAM recommendations, you can drop down a wattage level or two on the psu. I'm assuming you are using a discrete gpu of some sort...so 650W is plenty for any single gpu system and ambient overclocks. If there isnt a discrete GPU, a 500W psu is plenty.

Case is Fractal focus G.
I have a budget to stick to having just bought a house and I have seen very good reviews of the tomahawk max. It also fit the budget! Ram is good to go with this board and should fall into AMD's sweet spot for frequency. I always over purchase on the PSU incase I upgrade or add hardware.

Thanks for the advice!

That motherboard should be fine for a Ryzen 2 hexa core CPU that is not being overclocked. And the MSI Max boards have the 32 mb bios chip as well so plenty of room for a detailed GUI bios interface. My MSI board has the 16mb bios chip and it's pretty Spartan.

Actually, my only real concern from your component list is the 1x120 cooler. I think it will probably be adequate but not much cooling power to spare. What are your summer ambient indoor temps like?

Last edited:
I agree that the single 120 cooler may be a concern. It commonly reaches 90+ f during the summer months but the house will be kept at 72f.

Ok, I have built and stress tested the pc. The concerns over the single 120mm rad have both been valid and not. When I assembled the PC the case didn't come with a fan to exhaust the hot air from the back of the case. I ordered one from newegg when I placed the order for the other parts but the last case fan didn't arrive until today. I have stress tested the pc using occt power test that loads cpu and gpu in the same test. I thought this would be useful to figure out how well the entire system could dissipate the heat. I found without the last case fan the 120mm raad couldn't exhaust enough heat and the system ran very hot. Idled in the high 30C range. My last case fan arrived today and I had the time to sort out the cpu and case fan curves with the MSI software. After making the necessary changes to the software and adding the last case fan the single 120mm rad can do the job at stock clocks. When I have more time I will oc and I expect the 120mm rad to fail but who knows how far I can push it with proper case ventilation.

You never mentioned LOAD temperatures... idle temperatures are largely irrelevant, especially before the cooler change. Did you share any temperature details of the latest test?

Another thing that might help is adding another fan to the radiator for a push-pull setup. And even if that doesn't make a huge difference in load temps it generally does on noise.

Back