• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First overclock! Thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adambeau

Registered
Hi guys im brand new but i've been reading threads here for weeks as i got ready to overclock my comp for the first time. I oc'd my 1045t phenom to 3510 (260x13.5) with a vcore of 1.35v. Pretty much everything that has to do with my cpu is "disabled" in the bios and temps seem ok. Cpu is at 33-39 full load and motherboard is at 52-59 full load.

Been running prime 95 for a few hours no problems so far..

I'm just looking for suggestions on how to get even more performance, but the mb temp scares me a bit from going to crazy.. Am i at max or can i squeeze a little bit more? Any suggestions???

asrock 990fx extreme 3
1045t phenom ii
16gb g skill 1666mhz

I'm just assuming everything is air cooled?? because thats a big limiting issue - is your cpu just using a stock heatsink and fan??

33-39C is the Prime95 load on the cores? Can you run Coretemp and P95 and report temps. They seem awfully low.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

sorry guys didnt see ur replies till i got the e-mail!

My system is a fully air cooled haf 912 w/ 8 fans all very high cfm.

I have also used the HW Monitor and it comes up with the same temps. My motherboard started to get really hot at those speeds though 59-61 celsius under full load with prime 95. (after about 20-30 minutes)

i am now looking for something to cool my northbridge, im starting to think i just got a bad board =(.

To bring it down to safe temps i lowered the voltage to 1.375 and the speed to 3375 mhz. Now it maxes out around 51 celsius (which is still to high i know) and it idles at 33-36 celsius so i think theres a problem with the way they designed my 990fx extreme3 or maybe my specific board is a bust!

Thanks for answers guys!!!

p.s. i will use those programs u showed me tonight to investigate further... currently using Coretemps, HW Monitor, Speccy, Amd Overdrive, MSI Afterburner, and FRAPS! been doing all the testing i can.

adambeau, you haven't answered ztdesigninc's question in post #2 about what CPU cooler you are using. That is the most critical component in keeping temps down. Are you using the stock cooler that came boxed with the CPU or an aftermarket cooler and if the latter, what is the make and model?

p.s. i will use those programs u showed me tonight to investigate further... currently using Coretemps, HW Monitor, Speccy, Amd Overdrive, MSI Afterburner, and FRAPS! been doing all the testing i can.

Yep the programs and captures I posted are what we look at day after day for the same type of questions about overclocking. So we get used to what we see and have many posts of experience without having to go and learn some new application. That is why we stick with what has worked and is well known in how stuff reacts.

Luck with your heat/temps man.

(Just saw that sig)
Complete Specs:
Asrock 990fx extreme3
AMD Phenom ii x6 1045t
Hyper 212 Evo (Corsair H60 coming today, so i can fit northbridge and ram cooling)
G Skill sniper series 16gb ram 1866mhz (running at 1666mhz)
ssds: Samsung 830 128gb for boot drive, ocz vertex 3 120gb
HAF 912 case with seven 70+ CFM Fans (1x200mm, 1x140mm, 4x120m, 1x80mm) have ram cooler just wont fit next to my current cpu cooler.
2x engtx asus 460 SLI
1x gt 430 (phys x)
700w coolermaster silent pro

The only program i dont use that u suggested is cpu id and they are all telling me the same temps... very low cpu core temps but the motherboard seems like it wants to explode... (northbridge gets very hot to the touch! could burn u)

to the gentlemen who said my coretemps were low:

I will take a few screenies tonight when i download cpu id and i will post the results... I assure you my coretemps stay VERY low the only thing limiting me is the motherboard temperature (confirmed with HW monitor) At 3.5ghz i run at 33-39 and at 3375 i run at 29-35 celsius. (under full load)

but the motherboard at 3.5ghz is about 59-61 under load and at 3375 its at 45-51

Make a Signature with newer Drop Down Menu...

How to below. Can use my signature as a template of stuff in your configuration.

Attachments

• QuickLinkSig.jpg
    QuickLinkSig.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 35,534
adambeau, creating a Sig is a common courtesy on the forum. As this thread gets longer the specs you listed in post #8 will get buried and lost track of. People helping you don't want to spend a lot time searching for the info. If you put your system specs in your Sig they will travel with every post you make. RGone has given you a pictorial of how to do this. It's quite easy.

sorry new here was gonna wait till i was home from work and had more time but i will do it now.

edit: it is done!

Last edited:
sorry new here was gonna wait till i was home from work and had more time but i will do it now.

edit: it is done!

If you are in the forum from a cellphone, the signature will not appear, is what I have been told. That maybe why we cannot see it. These cellphones have the minuses.

Okay i am at home now bout to run prime 95 while i go to dinner and ill share the results so you guys can see what's goin on.

Also, my signature SHOULD be working now...

to the gentlemen who said my coretemps were low:

I will take a few screenies tonight when i download cpu id and i will post the results... I assure you my coretemps stay VERY low the only thing limiting me is the motherboard temperature (confirmed with HW monitor) At 3.5ghz i run at 33-39 and at 3375 i run at 29-35 celsius. (under full load)

but the motherboard at 3.5ghz is about 59-61 under load and at 3375 its at 45-51

Not sure what you mean when you say "motherboard temps" as there are typically several temp sensors in different places on the motherboard. Are you referring to the motherboard CPU socket temp? NB temp? Anyway, 61c under full load is not a high temp at all for any of the motherboard sensors. I don't get worried till I start seeing 70c for any of the motherboard sensor temps or maybe 65c for the CPU socket temp.

Not sure what you mean when you say "motherboard temps" as there are typically several temp sensors in different places on the motherboard. Are you referring to the motherboard CPU socket temp? NB temp? Anyway, 61c under full load is not a high temp at all for any of the motherboard sensors. I don't get worried till I start seeing 70c for any of the motherboard sensor temps or maybe 65c for the CPU socket temp.

That's the best thing ive heard yet some guy on that toms forum told me my board had a 51 celsius max and really freaked me out. I will run my next test back at 3.5-3.6ghz, I ran a light one today (1.5 hours on prime 95) to show you exactly which temp im talking about... these results come directly from HW Monitor and CPU-Z

Hardware monitor Nuvoton NCT6776
Voltage 0 1.33 Volts [0xA6] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 1.83 Volts [0xE5] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 3.30 Volts [0xCE] (AVCC)
Voltage 3 3.30 Volts [0xCE] (3VCC)
Voltage 4 1.47 Volts [0xB8] (VIN4)
Voltage 5 1.70 Volts [0xD5] (VIN5)
Voltage 6 0.74 Volts [0x5D] (VIN6)
Temperature 0 39°C (102°F) [0x27] (SYSTIN)
Temperature 1 55°C (131°F) [0x6E] (CPUTIN)
Temperature 2 5°C (40°F) [0x9] (AUXTIN)
Temperature 3 40°C (104°F) [0x28] (TMPIN3)

temperature 1 is the one that worries me... its 5 degrees cooler because i lowered the voltage from 1.35 to 1.325 and the mhz from 3510 to 3375.
I also lowered the northbridge frequency to 2000mhz from 2080, so that may have helped as well.

attachment.php

tried to put in an image (above) of my desktop after running prime 95 for 1.5 hours i hope it worked...

Thanks guys, as long as i know my CPUTIN is safe being at 55-65 celsius i will raise the clock back up!!!! cant wait!

Attachments

• Desktop_2012_06_29_20_37_17_197.jpg
    Desktop_2012_06_29_20_37_17_197.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 339
Those temps are all great! You have no reason to worry. I would add about 10c to the core temp, however, as it looks unrealistically low. Even then, it's still really good.

Wow, those are nice temps. Taking a guess, I'd say 3.6 - 3.8 might be possible. Those temps are nice. You must live in a very cold area.

Back