• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Overclocking attempt need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Swarm

Hey guys, I was attempting to overclock my system but even if I bump the fsb up by one the computer hangs and never even completes the POST test.

EX: 1333 stock to 1334

I have an Intel q9650 3.0ghz. I heard these cards could easily be o/c ed to 3.6ghz but I have been trying for hours with no avail.

Specs:

Q9650 CPU 3.0ghz
8gb DDR2 SDRAM 800mhz
Phoenix Award bios
GeForce 240 x2 (sli)

Bios Settings:

x9 multiplier
Unlinked
Ratio: auto
FSB: 1333.3(333.32)
Mem: 800

Voltage:

CPU Core: 1.30v
CPU FSB: 1.20v
Memory Voltage: 2.10v
Chipset Voltage: 1.50v

As stated I can't even bump the fsb by one and restart without it hanging and never making it past POST.

Any help given so I can get my CPU to at-least 3.6 would be great even higher would be amazing. Cheers :)

Last edited:
What motherboard do you have? And either post a direct link to your specific RAM, or post a pic. of CPU-Z open to the SPD tab showing rated timings and voltage at DDR2-800.

mobo and ram

System is an OEM. The board is an nforce 650i. All the info you should need is on the picture. Ask if you need more :)

Motherboard

Ram

Last edited:
System is an OEM. The board is an nforce 650i. All the info you should need is on the picture. Ask if you need more :)

Pics aren't working for me :(

I've never heard of an OEM Dell that allowed FSB overclocking :shrug:
The only systems I've seen from them that OC have Extreme Edition CPUs and unlocked multipliers. Not sure if that's related....I'm kind of suprized you've listed the specific voltages and settings I've seen on nForce boards though :confused:

Have you tried larger FSB adjustments? Try 1468 (367MHz) Without changing anything else and see if it'll post.

The xps 630 was made with overclocking in mind according to dell allowing the user to overclock almost all of the components. I just watched a video from a dell rep who overclocked the 630i via fsb. So hopefully I can.

And Ill try what you suggested now.

The board uses nvidia chipsets. As for your pictures problem no Idea I just clicked the links and it took me to the images fine.

No luck just sounds like its trying to suck energy and wont pass post. I tried it 3 times upping the voltages a little on the fsb and the cpu core. I have a 750w power supply so I should be pretty good there. Thanks for your help so far guys
keep it coming :)

Well I have to go to football practice I'll check back later cheers.

Edit: Just want to clarify the first time I tried it was as you suggested only change the fsb the other two times I changed the voltages to see if it would work.

Last edited:
According to this, the Q9650 can't be overclocked via the Dell 630i MB BIOS...

The 630i Resource Collective: consolidated resources for Dell XPS 630i users
http://www.my630i.com/resources/overclocking.html

Please note that no-one has been able to overclock Q9450/Q9550/Q9650(?) processors using only the Dell motherboard BIOS. Overclocking with these processors is apparently only possible with ESA control software.

Thanks guys I got it working with the software :) I just have to tweak it stress test and set it to load as a start-up profile and I'll be good. Thanks very much again guys.

I'll post with what I managed to get it up to fully stable.

Ive gotten it stable at 3.15ghz 5.1% overclock I was wondering if any of you guys had some settings I could use to try and get it around to 3.4 at-least. Would be most appreciated :)

Back