• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First PC build, help appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mshackwho

Hi, this is the first time I attempt to build my PC from scratch and would like to ask you guys if the below combination works.

I'm really new at this so I really appreciate inputs and advise. And forgive me if i mention anything wrongly.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT
CPU: Intel LGA1150 4790K
HDD: Seagate 7200rpm 3TB
RAM: G-Skill RipJawX 1866MHz CL9, 16GB kit
VGA: Sapphire R9 280X 3GB Tri-X Vapor-X STD
Case: Fractal Design R5 Titanium
PSU: Seasonic M12II-750W EVO Modular 80+

Thank You

Regards.

I don't see anything that wouldn't work there.

The only change I would make is to pick up a decent-sized solid state drive (I've been seeing Crucial 240GB and Samsung 840/850 Evo 250GB) for less than $100 regularly.

I don't see anything that wouldn't work there.

The only change I would make is to pick up a decent-sized solid state drive (I've been seeing Crucial 240GB and Samsung 840/850 Evo 250GB) for less than $100 regularly.

Thanks for you input. Will reconsider my budget and see if I could add in a SSD.

If you needed to cut some off of that, the 750W Power Supply is overkill for your build (by a couple hundred watts) unless you eventually plan to add a second card for Xfire you can drop off some there.

Also, the 16GB is generally unnecessary by today's standards and you can pretty easily get by with 8GB of RAM without any real issue (Depending on your needs of the system)

In my opinion getting 1 kit 16 GB its too much, also 750W Power suplly is waaaaay to much till u dont plan to put CrossFire.

RAM: I'd preffer getting 2x4GB 2133 MHz kits.
Power: 600-650 is pretty enough

SSD: If there are some money left in your pocket: hell yea!

+1 to Janus...

You don't need a 750W PSU unless you plan on using multiple GPUs. You also do not need 16GB of ram (unless you know personally you need it). 2x4GB 1866 is fine, and so is a quality 500W PSU.

Use the money saved there for at least a 128GB SSD.

Appreciate all the feedback, have made some changes below:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT
CPU: Intel LGA1150 4790K
HDD:
RAM: G-Skill RipJawX 1866MHz CL9, 8GB (2 x 4GB)
VGA: Sapphire R9 280X 3GB Tri-X Vapor-X STD
Case: Fractal Design R5 Titanium
PSU: CMaster V550S 550W 80+ Gold Modular

I came across seagate hybrid SSHD, would getting that or a SSD + HDD make more sense?

Also i'm thinking of switching the motherboard to gigabyte Z97X gaming 3, and the VGA to gigabyte GTX 970 4GB Windforce. Would it work out better this way?

Last edited:
The 970 would be a decent upgrade from the 280X.

SSHDs are okay, but I would probably only get it for a laptop where you can only hold one drive and need more space than an SSD can provide. I would get a full SSD and a regular HDD alongside it for secondary game installs (Steam, etc) and storing your media. Then having your OS, applications, and a couple games installed on the SSD for nice quick load times.

Back