• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First PC Build i9900K with RTX 2080 Super Not sure about the rest

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

derderwest

Hi Everybody, Im very new to this building a PC, Im 28 spent my whole life on computers and more reccently on the PS4, but ive got to a point where I want to build my own PC.
I already done quite a bit of research in what to choose.
I would like it to last for at least 5 year without been to outdated, so i thought if i start with:
cpu i9 9900K
graphics nvedia 2080 Super (this one has quite a lot a variants msa/aorus/stik and others and im a bit confused as to there difference)
motherboard ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (not really sure this is quite the right one for gaming)

I looked in to the other items i thought i would put 2x 32GB of RAM as the i9 can take 128GB so i might upgrade at a later stage and for the rest.
Update: (this is avoid upgrading in a couple of years also I will be multitasking gaming / web design and most likely a bit of video and image editing)

Ill look futher in to all the other items once i have choosen motherboard , cpu , graphic ram and cooler...

Should I us water cooled system for this sort of spec ?

Thanks any comments or help or suggestiions as to what motherboard and graphics RTX 2080 Super I should choose would be much appreciated.

Regards

Last edited:
I think the main question is. What are you going to be using it for? Gaming, video editing, everything ?

That mite change people recommendations.

I’m just throwing this out there since you are building a high end system. New AAA titles are asking for 16GBs towards higher graphic settings. If you add any DLCs, mods, background programs, streaming, recording, etc you could push towards, if not over, 16GB as new titles come out. As someone who doesn’t consistently upgrade parts, I made the choice to go for 32GB (2x16) of ram now, rather than waiting to buy another 16GB kit 2-3 years down the road. Speed and timings for 9900k is beyond the scope of my knowledge.

Popular opinion is 16GB (2x8) is adequate and I do recommend 16GB for those building a mid tier or less system.

As for the 2080 Super and their variants, imho, it’s more aesthetics than the very small OCs out of the box separates them. 2 fans at a price and look you like, is my suggestion. Check their reviews for deeper research if you’re stuck on a couple of options. EVGA Black variant is my number 1 choice so far.

Definitely recommend a M.2 NVMe for storage. A case that has at least 1 front USB 3.1 Gen 2 port since your mobo supports it. A 650W Gold rated PSU will be sufficient. Water cooling vs air cooling is a very personal choice.

IMO, a good case and PSU form the foundation for a PC that will last and support years of use and upgrades.

A good case will have lots of cooling and large (140mm or larger) fan support options. It will have removable, washable air filters. And it will be "true" - that is, the bends in the sheet metal will be exactly 90.0° to ensure all 4 feet sit firmly and evenly on the ground so there will be no wobble. This ensures no undue stress at the motherboard mounting points. A decent "mid" tower will support all ATX and smaller boards with plenty of room to spare.

Remember, it is the case's responsibility to provide a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case. I like Fractal Design cases such as the R6. It comes with really nice (and exceptionally quiet) fans but has lots of options for more fans or alternative cooling options. That said, unless you plan on extreme overclocking, a good fan cooled case is good enough.

As for power supplies, I like to say you wouldn't buy a brand new Porsche then fuel it up at the corner Tobacco and Bait Shop. Choosing a PSU is one of the most critical purchasing decisions. Don't try to trim pennies from the budget with a cheap, generic supply. Get a good supply from a reputable maker. I like EVGA and Seasonic. And I agree that "Gold" 80 PLUS certified is just fine. However, I do not recommend selecting your PSU until after you have selected all your other components and have determined your power needs.

SSDs are the way to go.

Unless you will be running a bunch of VM sessions, I agree 16GB of RAM is probably plenty. That said, if the budget allowed, I would probably go with 2 x 16 for 32GB just to ensure future proofing. IMO, 2 x 32GB is just wasting your money. If you find in a couple years you need more, you will still have 2 slots left to add another 32GB for 64GB total.

bigtallanddopey said:
I think the main question is. What are you going to be using it for? Gaming, video editing, everything ?
Ummm, the OP stated in his opening post,
derderwest said:
I will be multitasking gaming / web design and most likely a bit of video and image editing)

You are correct. Sorry.

@derderwest - except for minor typo or spelling edits, when replies have already been posted it is best to add new posts when pertinent information is added instead of editing older posts. This is because notifications are not sent for edits. Thanks.

I Will be using it for mainly for gaming / streaming and maybe in futur once I familiarize myself with the system/hardware i will start video creation, this is why I think ill go middle and choose 2x 16GB this way i can then upgrade to 4x 16GB at later stage... Thanks for your input this forum is amazing with people wanting to help... I wasn't expecting so many comments:)

I dont think i will be overcloking to start with as this is my first build and i dont wont to break it :-/

at the momment im looking at all the differentes options/videos/other builds.... but i think im worrying about little thing like will i have a good quality and quantity of hd port,usb, wifi, etc on the motherboard or can these be seperate or will they be on the graphics card....

or things like if i get 1TB SSD M2 does it have to be M+B or Just M; and will i still be able to put a sata ssd 2Tb; or maybe it better to put a sata mechanical 2 TB; as i might have to run games of one and software of the other...

And the this: 2x PCI-E x16 Slots / 2x PCI-E x1 Slots just when i thought i figured out the storage i wanted ....:drool:

I think im over thinking all of this.
??

Back