• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first pc build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bhere

Registered
currently have a old dell studio that has had some parts replaced over the years. it is now about 9 years old and starting to fail. went online looking around about building one and the ryzen 3 overclocking looked interesting. so now think i have narrowed down the parts i would like to get but, not sure about compatibility and if i am going overkill with anything. like wise if there may be something that should be the next step up. also if there is something i haven't given any thought.

trying to keep what i can from my old computer for now if possible until i can catch up with the current bill.

any help would be very appreciated.

build list:
Processor------r3 1200

Motherboard---msi tomahawk

Memory--------g.skill F4-3200C14D-16GVR (checked in msi tomahawk qvl under "memory by a-series")

Graphics------(old one (geforce gt 640)

Storage-------old one(??? raid 0)

Power supply--old one (corsair gs600)

Case----------cool master haf 912

The parts you have listed should play together. Will you be using the OEM boxed CPU cooler? You might want to look at an aftermarket cooler.

You're probably going to have to delete your RAID 0 for the new build. Do you have another PC to be able to clear the RAID metadata from the disks?

Don't be surprised if your RAM won't run at the full 3200 mhz even though you see in the qvl list.

What OS will you be running?

thank you and forgot the cooler. have a evo hyper 212 in my current pc but it is a bit nasty now. have seen people like the ryzen oem. also have given some thought to building a liquid cooler down the road. that would probably be a bit overkill for my needs, however would be nice if it made the case a little more roomy.

just deleted the raid 0 and tried non-raid. the drive i was on started clicking and didn't try the other one. just went back to raid 0 for now.

what ever the ram runs at is what it runs at i guess. the reasons i choose is because (i think) have seen people just enable the overclock option and the ram runs what it is rated. also i think i saw on a list of b-die, though not sure if that is even necessary now with the newer bios.

as for the os just upgraded to windows 10.

What he is saying is the R0 likely wont transfer over as its a different chipset.

If the drive is clicking, it isnt a software/raid issue. ;)

thank you

i know there is something wrong inside the drive and hoping the other one will work to get it going.

if i install os with old pc that wont work on the new one?

To remove the RAID 0 metadata you should use the "clean" command with diskpart with administrator privileges in power shell or command prompt. Otherwise, Windows won't see the drive when you go to reinstall. That's in addition to disabling RAID in bios. I'm not sure you could do this without access to another computer to connect the drive to. I use a USB dock when I do these things.

Last edited:
Are they bootable after the clean command? If not, just format and start over since that has to (should) happen anyway, no?

The raid wont carry over as it was built on the old chipset and wont work with the new. You can back that data up, format the drives and build the array and reimage.

Otherwise, just start over. :)

Are they bootable after the clean command? If not, just format and start over since that has to (should) happen anyway, no?

The raid wont carry over as it was built on the old chipset and wont work with the new. You can back that data up, format the drives and build the array and reimage.

Otherwise, just start over. :)

I think an actual true format does erase RAID metadata but can take a long time. I don't think a quick format will do it though. I could be wrong.

In this case, id full format to be safe as the guy said he heard some noises. At least full will check for bad sectors, quick will not, nor does the clean function.

He'd have to quick format anyway after the clean and reinstall the OS, right?

No he wouldn't have to format, but he would have to initial the drive. Windows will quick format during the installation. But I agree with you, he should do a full format anyway because of the noise. But I wonder if the noise is really indicating hardware failure.

So, new drive, then os quick formats. Why are we cleaning it if it formats anyway? Why not quick format upon install? Pretty sure it wipes the raid as well... it creates a boot sector and such.

Sorry, just trying to understand to get the result the OP wants in the most efficient way. :)

I think the RAID meta data is kept in a place that formatting doesn't touch. Just reformatting has never for me gotten rid of RAID meta data.

wow nice discussion, i came to the right place and thank you.

No he wouldn't have to format, but he would have to initial the drive. Windows will quick format during the installation. But I agree with you, he should do a full format anyway because of the noise. But I wonder if the noise is really indicating hardware failure.

well before going to non-raid there was a faint noise and i thought it may be a fan. then in non-raid the drive would start usually while at youtube and would not stop until it was completely shut, down reboot didn't work. soon after it would not shut down when it was clicking. either would get stuck in black screen or the shut down screen and the little dotted circle would just keep going.

after i went back to raid 0 that faint noise is back and like before it comes and goes. now after reading this discussion i am think try the other hard drive and use that to test the bad one. but there are some many programs out there does anyone have an opinion what a good free one would be, or use windows utility?

Ditch the raid and get an SSD and maybe a single 7200 storage drive.

Get a cheap AIO like:

The Tomahawk Plus on sale right now better deal.

is that ssd a hard drive?

really like the cooler and cheap to thank you.

the tomahawk plus was something i was considering but a couple days they where the same price. looking at them i could see some differences besides the slots and when reading the specs at msi could see there where quite a few. it was all over my head so figured since i don't understand the differences probably won't make use of them. now that tomahawk went up in price maybe i should buy the plus. i assume the plus can be set any way i was going to set up the regular.

Ssd is a much much faster hdd, but cost /GB is higher...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404258,00.asp?amp=1

I think the RAID meta data is kept in a place that formatting doesn't touch. Just reformatting has never for me gotten rid of RAID meta data.

Quick-formatting a new hard drive takes only seconds, but simply erases the drive's metadata and file allocation tables. Full-formatting, which can take several hours, goes sector-by-sector across the disk, erases it and tests it for possible read errors.
http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/Quick-formatting-hard-disk-drives-A-shortcut-but-safe

Last edited:
I read that link researching last night. Walked away from it as his issue doesnt seem to be the same. You can format a raid array regardless of what it does to the metadata. So there was something else going on with that guy.

Anyway, its been soooo many years here as well. But i dont ever recall having to do that. I digress. :)

Yeah, SSD technology has made striped RAID unnecessary for most of us.

have a couple probably stupid questions but this stuff is over my head.

does a ssd replace hard drive or run in tandem?

looked at the ssd mentioned above the "ADATA Ultimate SU650 3D NAND 2.5" 480 GB SSD". in the description it says "Wide capacity range: 120GB to 480GB".
is the total storage 120gb or 480gb?

would like to order this stuff to because not sure when my current pc is going to poop out.

And SSD will replace your primary HDD. If its large enough for your needs then that is all you need. I run a 500GB SSD for C and a 4TB 7200 for larger storage.
The 480 you looked at will have around 420-430GB. The 120GB to 480GB just means what sizes they sell them in.

Basically it will make Windows boot and load very quickly. Its good for launching productivity apps quickly. Gaming is less of a big deal but it can help load times. I keep a few games installed on C but most on my physical drive and don't notice much difference.

Back