• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time build and my Phenom II x2 unlocked AUTOMATICALLY to Phenom II x4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anotherera

Computer specs...

Asrock 880G Extreme3
Fractal Design Integra 500W
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ
AMD Phenom2 X2 555 3,2GHz BlackEdition
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) Value Select DDR3 1333MHz
xfx radeon hd5770

So here is the deal, this is my first built pc. I built it, spent 3 days working on a project and didnt play with it at all, and then yesterday I finally sat down with it and SOMEHOW it unlocked itself to the AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B55 Processor without me doing ANYTHING.

You can find some pics here of the asrock oc tuner specs and some occt readings

and here you can find pics of my bios i took this morning
http://picasaweb.google.com/116969 [...] 7/Computer

You can see the ucc is now enabled, that is because i selected it this morning since it is already unlocked...

Also I increased the cpu voltage through the asrock oc tuner but it went back down to 1.3. I cranked it back up to 1.35 again and its holding.

I ran prime95 for 10 hours last night and it shows no errors. The temp was sticking to around 60 but is down to 43 now. I plan on running occt today some more as well.

What else can/should I do to respond to this sudden increase in cores? I am honestly terrified of overclocking and ruining some part of my new system. It worries me even more that it happened on its own.

I would LOVE any advice about what might have caused this and what I should do.

Oh, and I dont know if it is worth noting but the only odd things that have happened since I built this was one bsod (which was fixed with a reboot), the clock and date randomly changing (in both bios and windows), the quick launch area of windows acting very odd at times, and the windows experience index giving me an error since the other cores opened up.

How can I test to be sure the extra cores are performing correctly, and what changes should I make to my system to accomodate the new cores other than increasing the cpu voltage. Also, I ran AMD overdrive and did the benchmark and stability tests. I dont know how to read the results other than the stability showed all green, but the benchmark went down from high 7000 to low 7000 after the cores became mysteriously unlocked.

Thank you all.

If you hitting 60C I would not be running OCCT until you get some better cooling and figure out what is going on. The first pic you have is working I cannot load the second pic. Was the first one taken at idle? What cpu cooler are you using?

Ok so dont run OCCT, check. That is the first bit of actual, applicable and direct advice I have received after posting this on 5 separate boards.

I do not have plans to get better cooling right now. Is this going to present a problem? I am not going to be overclocking, and infact I hadnt planned on trying to unlock the phenom until I got settled into the computer, but the computer chose to do it by itself.

It seems that the cpu temp, according to asrock oc tuner, is ranging from 42-49 during normal use. (internet, torrents)

Everything I am running is stock, the heatsink and cooler came with the phenom and I am only using the fan that came with the case. Again, I had no plans to overclock and was assured that the stock kit could handle everything including unlocking the phenom. Is this not the case?

This should include all of the photos and they should all be taken during idle
http://picasaweb.google.com/116969706490566744887/Computer

You have the OC in the bios set to auto so its going to run up the cpu by itself. Looking at your bios pics your running 53C with only 1.3 volts to the core which tells me you really need to do something to help the cooling.

I would start off by turning off auto OC, the stock cooler should be able to handle the cpu with 1.3 volts unlocked, you may need to purchase some good TIM (thermal paste) and remove/clean/reapply TIM, you may have just gotten a bad mount. You don't want to remove the cooler and try to reinstall it without properly cleaning the cooler and cpu surfaces and applying new TIM. I like MX2 but there are several good TIM out there.

You are showing having thermal throttle in auto which should pull the cpu down so it doesn't over heat but its temps are getting up there and I think your system is being throttled.

Also what case do you have?

Edit: when you went to install the cpu cooler did you remove the plastic film that protects the TIM?

Last edited:
As far as the mystery unlock of the cores is it possible that you hit an F key when you turned on the computer, I don't know your board but mine is set to one of the F keys for turning on unlocking and this may have been what happened with yours.

I didnt hit anything that could have accidentaly unlocked it. Though I think it was set to auto so maybe it just did it on its own.

I have the precision ps05B case and it is stock.

After a reboot the cpu voltage went back to 1.3 in asrock oc tuner, should I change it to 1.35 through bios?

OK, read down towards the bottom of this thread where I posted (#9/#10)you may also be having some of the same issue's he is having. I honestly do not know why case manufacturers are doing this. Your case came with one fan installed in the back but the top is open so there is no reason for the rear fan to draw in fresh air, this will allow the cpu cooler to try to recycle its own air which may be part of the problem you are having.

Thank you for the thread. I checked by placing my hand on the top and then on the front of the case. Both seem to be cool to the touch and I can feel air flowing through both spots. That being said, my cpu temps is hanging around 51 currently.

Every time i reboot the cpu voltage gets reset to 1.3 as well.

Also I went into BIOS on another persons recommendation and turned on CPU active core control.

My next step was to try out my first game on here, codbo, and see what happens.

The air you feel going through the front is probably being pulled through by your video card and power supply and not running up towards the cpu cooler. The air you feel on the top is being pulled in by the back fan so just imagine a line going for the top of your case straight back towards the back fan then look where you cpu cooler is.

ok, so then if i understand correctly you suggest I get a fan for the top of the case? Can you recommend a solid and inexpensive one?

I would recommend if you only plan on putting one more fan in putting one in the front of the case to push fresh air in and help make an S pattern for air flow across the system. You wont need a high static fan but a fan with descent cfm so you should be able to keep it on the quiet side.

Back