• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time builder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for input

What's the difference between the 9700 and the nt, i thought the only diff was one was the 9700 was orangey/red and blue light whereas nt was black and green

Also, i'm beginning to doubt going the ati way because the 3870x2 seems to be failing big time when being compared to other gfx cards (e.g reviews on anandtech/tomshardware)

So should i go ati and hope that better drivers come out or should i go nvidia? with nvidia i'm not sure what to do because I really don't want to get a SLI board but I want to buy a 2nd gfx card later.

HELP? :-/

If you don't want to go with 780i/790i, then your only other choice is the 9800GX2 and forget a second nvidia card later...?

The other thing is the 4870s are coming out in several months, so those may be better than the 3870s - you can buy one 3870/3870x2 now and then hope the 4870s are better later (so as to sell this one then and upgrade to 4870s then and buy a second 4870 later on..... ? ).

Clarification: Zalman 9700NT. I believe the heatpipes are larger diameter on the NT. No, the 9700NT will not keep up the U120E, but it will keep up with Tuniq Tower 120. Yes, I've read all the heatsink reviews. I've run the U120E, Zalman 9700, Zalman 9700NT, and Tuniq Tower 120 extensively with different TIMs, fan configurations and cases. Comparing my full load, 24/7 results with online reviews (generic, I know, but I've read most of the big, detailed ones): 9700NT does better than reviews; Tuniq 120 on par with reviews; U120E excellent heatsink, but only 2-3C better (at best) than the Tuniq 120 and Zalman 9700NT. I have lapped (and lapped, and lapped, and....) my U120Es and the Q6600 processors they cool.

But, the zalman is louder than the ones I mentioned... Don't get me wrong, I think the Zalman would "look" better with a motherboard that has copper looking 'heatpipes' (not NT though since that's a green led fan)... but when you're comparing the cooling effectiveness AND noise factor, the ones I listed win vs Zalman's.

But, the zalman is louder than the ones I mentioned... Don't get me wrong, I think the Zalman would "look" better with a motherboard that has copper looking 'heatpipes' (not NT though since that's a green led fan)... but when you're comparing the cooling effectiveness AND noise factor, the ones I listed win vs Zalman's.

Just use the fan controller.

the zalman is louder than the ones I mentioned
That is true, no doubt about it.
Just use the fan controller.
Or use SpeedFan. I'm running a 9700NT on my system 4 (signature). I set the 9700's fan to 75%. Its cooling effectiveness at that RPM is within 1C of its effectiveness at 100%, but very quiet.

Yes, good point. You really don't want to run a 9700/9700NT at full RPM. It is annoying.

Last edited:
Ok so i'm sticking to the tuniq tower 120 because I can't seem to find a TRUE anywhere in the uk.. also the blue led on the tuniq tower i picked will look good in an antec 900 :D

I think i might as well get a 3870x2 now and hope better drivers are released soon because there really isn't an offer that appeals to me from nvidia.

I have another question, I went into maplins (computer shop) and asked for anti-static wristbands, the guy there told me they're not needed and you can just ground everything by connecting it to the psu but not turning on, is this true?

Az, you won't be disappointed. The Tuniq 120 will will keep pace within 2C of the U120E at full load, overclocked. You will also be pleased to find that Tuniq has dicovered how to machine a flat heatsink base. TR, on the other hand... The Tuniq package also includes a fan and controller. They are very good heatsinks. They also don't have those silly wire fan fasteners that the U120E uses.

I have another question, I went into maplins (computer shop) and asked for anti-static wristbands, the guy there told me they're not needed and you can just ground everything by connecting it to the psu but not turning on, is this true?

I've never used it before.... Assemble it somewhere NOT on carpet (tile, wood floors, etc). Touch the frame of the case before touching other parts (this is to eliminate any static electricity you may have built up in you)... You should be fine as long as you do these 2 steps - first one is pretty important as carpet can cause you to carry static eletricity (enough to destroy components). To prove this: rub your feet with socks on the carpet while walking - now touching something metal... :) ..if done right, you'll know it (rather, you'll feel it....)

Pretty much every room in my home except the hallways, toilet and kitchen have carpets, can i just put my feet on a stool or something?

I have destroyed a video card before with static discharge. I was working on a computer and had the video card out, walked across a carpet to the computer, touched a conductive part of the video card - zap, dead. Since then I always touch the computer frame first.

No you don't need an anti-static strap. Just discharge static from your body first by touching the case's metal rail/support. If walking across a carpet, it's a good idea to carry sensitive components in an anti-static bag in a cardboard box.

Plugging in a psu and mounting it would ground the case, but it wouldnt do you any good. If your motherboard ect was connected to the grounded case, and therefore shorted, you'd have some issues. I dont think theyre necessary, but I found it a good investment, a 5 dollar strap to protect a 1200 dollar system.

Which psu should i pick? I really want a hx1000 because they're cheaper than the other 1000w psus and should be just as good

Silverstone st1000
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=602504

Thermaltake toughpower 1000w
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/133804

Enermax galaxy (I'm not sure if this has enough connectors, on enermax's site it says it has 2 6+2 pin pcie and 1 6 pin pcie, i need 2 6 pins and 2 8 pins for 2 x 3870x2)
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=446001

hx1000 (not released yet)
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=782927

I'd go with the toughpower. Better still, how would you like it if I paid you a visit and robbed you? No money = no computer = no decisions to make = happy?

The Corsair will probably be good...not sure. That's what I was looking into, but it's not released and not sure when it will be.... I also got no patience.... :)

I'd never buy a Thermaltake ps....but that's me. don't know anything about the other... The Enermax is something I would consider though.

Post a question in the power supply section...? :)

Why do you want a 1000 watt PSU? A quality 750 watt will be more than enough to power your rig. I mean if you really feel you want a 1000 watt PSU by all means it your money, However unless I'm missing something, I just think you are paying for power that you simply do not need.

The Corsair will probably be good...not sure. That's what I was looking into, but it's not released and not sure when it will be.... I also got no patience.... :)

I'd never buy a Thermaltake ps....but that's me. don't know anything about the other... The Enermax is something I would consider though.

Post a question in the power supply section...? :)

The HEC built Thermaltake units are crap, but the CWT built ones are pretty solid. Enermax is very erratic with reliability just like Topower. Lots of incidents of Psu SDS. Invariably, it seems to be the switchers that blow up.

I've heard of Enermax ps's going downhill during the past several years... they used to be good back when I was using an Athlon....

What about the Antec Quatro TruePower 1000W ps? Is that any good? Here in Canada, I found it for $170 - only $25 more than the Corsair TX750 ($65 diff after rebate). Not sure on pricing in the states though....

Which psu should i pick? I really want a hx1000 because they're cheaper than the other 1000w psus and should be just as good

Silverstone st1000
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=602504

Thermaltake toughpower 1000w
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/133804

Enermax galaxy (I'm not sure if this has enough connectors, on enermax's site it says it has 2 6+2 pin pcie and 1 6 pin pcie, i need 2 6 pins and 2 8 pins for 2 x 3870x2)
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=446001

hx1000 (not released yet)
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=782927

From those either go with the Silverstone or wait on the Corsair. Don't buy anything from Thermaltake and thank yourself. Occasionally they put out a decent product but most of their stuff is crap. It is not worth trying to sort between their junk and one or two good items, make them produce quality parts in general. Going by the info listed the Enermax does not have the connectors you need. It would work if you used molex adapters but that would suck to have to use adapters on a new PSU.

Back