• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time Liquid Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muscleman

Hi,

I have 6 AMD Frontier cards i would like to liquid cool. but i'm unsure which pieces would be best and affordable.

I have purchased 6 EK-FC Nickle Plated with Plexi Tops

I was thinking i would run 3 gpu's on one loop and use a 490 radiator. Do you think this would be sufficient? i believe the OTC liquid cooled versions only use one 120.

I was also thinking a barrow D5 pump, not sure how big a tube that would need. Any ideas?

Thanks
Gary

The D5 is a very good pump, you can't go wrong with it as long as you have room in your case for it.

For tubing, 1/2inch ID tends be the most poplar, but you can save a little on both tubing and fittings if you go with 3/8in. The bigger the tubing the more flow and water volume your have.

I believe the AMD Frontier is a 300W card? You have 6 in one system? That's a lot of heat. What PSU are you running? What's your case too.
What fans are you looking at getting? A 480mm x 60mm rad for 3 300w card and a CPU will work with the right fans, But Id want more rad space to keep things quiet.
I'd go with ether scythe gentle typhoons or noctua ippc fans.

Also be very careful what you mix with a EK Nickle block, they have a long history of the nickel flaking off the copper. Use ether distilled water and a drop or two of copper sulfate or If you don't want to have to flush your system 6 months to a year use Koolance Clear Low-Conductivity Coolant. Its about the only premixed coolant that will not kill your loop in the long so long as you don't have any polycarbonate in your system. It lasts about 2-3 years before you need to flush and refill.
If you do use another premixed coolant stay the hell away from anything with UV dye or that is colored, it will most likely brake down over time and eat your tubing and plastic tops and clog your pump.

Last edited:
The D5 is a very good pump, you can't go wrong with it as long as you have room in your case for it.

For tubing, 1/2inch ID tends be the most poplar, but you can save a little on both tubing and fittings if you go with 3/8in. The bigger the tubing the more flow and water volume your have.

I believe the AMD Frontier is a 300W card? You have 6 in one system? That's a lot of heat. What PSU are you running? What's your case too.
What fans are you looking at getting? A 480mm x 60mm rad for 3 300w card and a CPU will work with the right fans, But Id want more rad space to keep things quiet.
I'd go with ether scythe gentle typhoons or noctua ippc fans.

I ain't looking to cool the cpu, just Gpu's.
I Figure would make two closed loops the would cool be able to cool 3 vega's with a 480mmx60mm. Maybe? or should i do 2 x 360x60 per 3 cards?

Also be very careful what you mix with a EK Nickle block, they have a long history of the nickel flaking off the copper. Use ether distilled water and a drop or two of copper sulfate or If you don't want to have to flush your system 6 months to a year use Koolance Clear Low-Conductivity Coolant. Its about the only premixed coolant that will not kill your loop in the long so long as you don't have any polycarbonate in your system. It lasts about 2-3 years before you need to flush and refill.
If you do use another premixed coolant stay the hell away from anything with UV dye or that is colored, it will most likely brake down over time and eat your tubing and plastic tops and clog your pump.

Last edited:
A 480mmx60mm for 3 vega Frontiers will work, but you will want a push pull fan setup or some nasty screamers if you plain to OC or live in a hotter hotter climate. Thats 900w watts of heat, most good 360mm rads can take that but not without higher RPM fans or a push pull setup. A 480mm sounds about right for 3 of the cards. Id want a bigger rez too.

Back