• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time overclocker in need of some advice/help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xWar91x

i just built myself a new gaming pc about 2 weeks ago and im looking to overclock my cpu i tried to oc my cpu about 3 days ago but it ended up blue screening on me on start up and i had to reset the bios manually not sure if it was jsut a bad cpu or it was something i did(proly what i did lol) i tried to oc the cpu through the Gigabyte bios it has a thing that ocs it quickly and i tried to use the 4.0 ghz one but it caused my pc to blue screen on startup sooooooo any help would be greatly appreciated...

my goal is to get it to a stable 4.0 ghz oc on the stock cooler
iv read online ppl have managed to get my cpu up to 4.6/4.8 but im pretty sure that was on a aftermarket cooler

not sure if this is needed but currently my cpu temps are 35-42 when idle and 45-59 when in game(very rarely does it surpass 55)

heres the specs to my pc

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.23 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($131.65 @ OutletPC)
Total: $740.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-06 15:35 EST-0500

Go into the BIOS and load optimized defaults.
Set the CPU Clock Ratio to 40x, go to Advanced CPU Core Settings, set each Turbo Ratio to 40x also.
Go to Advanced Voltage Settings, CPU Core Voltage Control, and set CPU Core Voltage to 1.25V.

Test in Windows with Intel XTU and see if it passes.

Back