• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Timer, looking for OC help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NevaR

Hi guys/gals

im a first timer with an kind of OC'in and would like some feed back..

at the moment my system is as follows...

Abit IP35 Pro
Intel Q6600 (Kentsfield) 2.40ghz
4 GB Kingston DDR2 (PC2-6400)
Asus HD6970 2gb

im looking to upgrade this soon (April 2012) so thought what better time to have a go at OC'in

i have read a few different things from different sites, and can say im not quite sure if i understand it all... The following is what i have changed and just wanted insight into whether im doing it right

in order of what i did...

External Clock from 272MHz(x9) to 400(x8)
DRAM Speed from Default 1:1.25
PCI-Express Clock from 100Mhz to 101Mhz

CPU Core Voltage to 1.45V
DDR2 Voltage to 1.8
MCH 1.25 to 1.37
CPU VTT 1.2 to 1.27
ICH 1.05V to 1.15V
ICHIO 1.50V to 1.55V

Disabled C1E and EIST Functions

i then set the ram timings as follows...

CAS Latency to 5
RAS# CAS# Delay to 5
RAS Precharge to 5
Precharge Delay to 18

Also set the Init Display First to PCIEx

i will take some screen shots of CPU-Z and HWMomitor

Thanks for reading, and for any advice!! :)

Last edited:
Well... the goal here is to reach the clockspeed you want at the lowest voltage. Are you there?

Otherwise, voltage seems a bit high for the clockspeed but every chip is different and it depends on the stepping 6600 you have (G0 is better). You can leave PCIe clock at 100Mhz.

Waiting on SShots! (attach to forum).

CPU-ZMemory.jpg

CPU-ZSPD.jpg

i have taken the voltage down to 1.3

i also have AIDA64 installed if this is a better program for figures??

AIDA64.jpg

:thup:

Thanks!

Looking at those SShots, my first suggestion if you would like to push on is to lower memory multiplier to 1:1 ratio. Im not sure how much headroom your memory has in it (at least to 480Mhz!). If you notice, when raising the FSB you are raising the memory frequency. ;)

well seems stable playing BF3 for 45 mins so far (tho CPU is showing at 73c, is that ok?).... Not sure i understand what you mean by lowering to 1:1? is that the DRAM speed?

thanks

The dram speed, yes, lower it if you want to push on.

Stability test with Linx or Prime95 (small fft) first, then move on to games. But 45 mins of BF3 is a good sign!

Your temps are high for daily use. For benching your ok though. The B3 chip sspec is 62.2C and the GO is 71C. Either way low to mid 70's while gaming is much to high if I read that right. You should test your system with intelburn test or linx (100% load). And see where your temps are at. I would feel comfortable with gaming load temps in the 50's for daily use.

Back