• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First water cooling attempt... madness, or awesome? Really need opinions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zellio

Registered
So I have one more pipe to connect to the back, and some distilled water to run for a day or so, and my first water cooling job is complete! Maybe. I really need some advice. You see, I have a really big case, a tower 900. I was also really good at melting plastic. So good, that I may have gotten carried away and now there's pipes on top of pipes with pipes going into pipes... Think Pipe Dreams or just visit my link:

Is this madness? Or possibly awesome? Should I keep this crazy mess or rebuild it? Do you think it would leak? I've already given everything a small tug, and it doesn't get loose...

I also have one other side to build, and it's gonna wait until EVGA updates me on my 2080ti step up...

That does look a little crazy ha. Not my cup of tea but it will probably look good once filled

Just remember that the more fittings you use the more chance for leaks to occur. Also the larger the sections of pipe you have the more weight will need to be supported when they are filled with water.

Also the longer the pipe and the more bends you put into it the harder it is to bend and get it right. Although I am guessing you have experienced that.

I say finish the loop, fill it up and test for a good while. You probably know already, but just power your pumps to test the loop for leaks etc. At least then if it does leak you just have to let everything dry and not replace things.

Maybe you're right. I was going for a 'mad scientist experiment' look anyway. I have acid green and red dye. I want one pipe to look like acid is running thru and one to look like blood is running thru. If I have pipes from the other looping around these (And they don't leak) it would actually do what I want pretty well, even if it's a bit extreme. I'll keep you guys updated.

I have a micro atx case with threadripper that I'm gonna do a 'normal' water cooling loop for, so I guess I'll make that my normal water cooling build. It shouldn't be too hard since that's my general server machine and I'm only including a very light gpu because there's no built in one, so only the cpu needs water cooling

Looks cool to me, kind of futuristic industrial.

What's your lighting going to be?

Gordon

My ram is rgb, my water cooling kits is rgb, my motherboard is rgb, my 18 fans are rgb, and I have two sets of dye, one acid green and one red so that my two sets of tubes will look like one has acid and one has blood

Bah! Now that's a turn of events! Ok, I go watch photos.
Edit: looks wonderful, just like.other water cooling rigs.

I can’t view embedded photos for some reason so imgur photos are needed ha
The other reason is those links will expire after being idle for so long... which would bork the thread.

Not sure why you cannot see inline images. Since others can, I am imagining this is on your end with some adblocker or something? I don't know. But we strongly prefer hosting here for many reasons. Do so where possible is all we ask. :)

Rock on man! express yourself, overkill is what we do at ocf hahaha. post up some pics of her all finished up. oh and make doubly sure you follow the directions on the fluid your using. it may only be for quick runs and if so will need to be changed regularly to avoid any issues. before you commit to using what you have i would suggest doing some serious research on your specific choice of colored fluid. there are more horror stories than i can remember about colored fluids gunking up loops. the best route to take with colored fluids is to only use what the manufacturer of your gear suggests. otherwise it may void your warranty as well.

Okay so my build is now in the testing phase... I'm using pure distilled water to test and rinse before I finalize everything (Is this bad btw? I haven't read anything saying it is...). I do have one issue, it's not leaking, but it is condensating a lot. Should I be concerned? Or is this a side effect of using pure distilled and running it thru (What is the highest speed on this pump? 4000 rpm?). high speed pumps? I know basic chemistry but it wasn't what I specialized in

IMG_1166.jpeg IMG_1167.jpeg

Condensation inside the reservoir is normal and nothing to worry about. Condensation on the tubing and blocks/other parts would be, but, you shouldn't have that.

is that inside? it looks like it may on the outside...it looks like theres water around the base of the res too. did you refrigerate the water prior to filling your loop? im not sure whats up here.

Need to install miniature heater element inside to keep water warm.

Maybe overclock the flu so that it warms up water quicker?

Need to install miniature heater element inside to keep water warm.

Maybe overclock the flu so that it warms up water quicker?
WTH are you talking about? Its simple condensation INSIDE the res due to evaporation......................

Back