• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First water cooling build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cwinot

I have decided to do my first water cooling setup, just wanted some feedback on the components I chose for my loop.

Case: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced
CPU Block: XSPC Raystorm
Radiator: XSPC EX240
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 Special Edition
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES Micro v2
Tubing: Danger Den DreamFlex 1/2" x 3/4"
Fittings: XSPC Compression Black Chrome 1/2" x 3/4"

I think I will also add a drain off the bottom of the reservoir. I also have a few questions. Does the radiator come with fans or would I have to purchase them separately? I plan to use Aerocool Shark fans anyway, but I still have to purchase those too. Also should I use distilled water with an anti-microbial additive or just buy a brand of coolant with additives in it?

System specs right now:
Case: Rosewill Challenger
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MaxB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 4x4GB
GPU: EVGA GTX 560SC 2GB
PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow TR2 RX 850w
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB
DVD: HP dvd1260i

Last edited:
You will understand better if you take your time and read the stickies. I suggest beginning with the link at the top by hokiealumnus. Determine your heat load after that. And link to your pump please. Unless you buy a kit, you purchase fans separately. Please tell us more about your budget and do you need a quiet system or can it get louder under load? There is good testing on parts at http://martinsliquidlab.org/ and http://skinneelabs.com/. Others will be by. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
I read through the beginners guide to water cooling, so I am just going to use a non dyed EK coolant, check. I buy the fans separate, check. My budget is about $300 - $400. I could buy the case with a water loop pre-installed from FrozenCPU.com for $350 but I don't like the dual bay reservoir/pump or water block it comes with. I am picky about how things look that is why I decided to build my own loop. I would like it to be fairly quiet but some noise is fine. Right now I have these fans in my Rosewill case: 1 140mm top, 1 120mm front, 1 120mm back, 1 80mm side, 2 80mm staggered in the 5.25 bays, 135mm CPU, ?mm GPU fan, and when under full load they get pretty loud, not that I can hear them over BF3 or my AC unit though.
Pump: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_201&products_id=33677
I have not figured out my heat load yet, I must have missed where it says how to? Well I will be back later, thank you.

Non dyes EK coolant vs distilled, save $20, remember every 6 months you need to drain/refill.

This is where the beginners 'GUIDE' is just the beginning. It's a teaser for folks who are interested, but just a teaser. Glad you looked deeper once you read musicfans reply. We got tons of stickies. Most once they see how involved doing it right decide to do it, altho they end up reading a LOT more than expected and spend a few WEEKS before buying a single part.

We don't worry at the beginning a lot about basics like case fans etc, everyone has them. Once you begin to learn, you see what you need to deal with.

Primo LRT has issues, we talk about it in posts etc. You wno't get magic reductions in temps, your CPU and all like it have heat dissipation issues. Even watercooling with 3x the rad you picked isn't magic.

Just dig in and learn, not a bad pick parts list to start, I suggest you start all over and in a week or two will have a MUCH better idea what you need to do. $400 will cool your CPU just fine, quality and quiet.

Another link, folks should see this first I think:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Ok so just use distilled water, check. I mainly just want to make sure I buy parts that work good and look good aswell. Good to know about that tubing, thats what I want to hear about. I am not looking to get the absolute best setup, but I do want a reliable setup. I also can't afford to buy anything currently so for now all I can do is research and make sure I learn what I can. I only mentioned my fans just to give an idea that I know that some of them can get pretty loud, I just don't want to sit next to a jet when I am gaming. One thing I want to see about is the CPU block I chose. It sounds like a good item and I like the looks of it, but would like to here other peoples opinions on that and anything else I have picked out so far. Forgot to mention I realize I have to flush and maintain the system, that will not be a problem. Thank you for the info, I will do more research and be back.

Last edited:
Well from what I can figure the list of parts I have come up with will work out fine for my needs. I priced everything out and for all the parts on my list (including the case, fans, and a few mounting brackets) it comes out to be $495.57, + shipping of course. So it looks to be right within my budget, as soon as I get back to work. I also just got around to downloading Prime95 and ran it for the first time. Wow, I was not expecting my CPU temp to be what is was, 56C on full load! I am not exactly sure how that really stacks up with others air cooled CPU temps, but I thought it would be higher than that. Well feel free to inform me of other info or items I may want to look at but I think for now my list is pretty good. Thank you.

Well, about right really. 56C is not bad at all and you can go 70's for load tests with no problems. And in normal operation, it won't get that hot. Using Realtemp or HW Monitor for measuring temps? Core temps, not case temps is important.

Ohh and let it run for 10 minutes on air cooling. Run the Heaven benchmark for your GPU too, you might not really need watercooling unless you want a quiet rig.

It would be nice to have it quieter and I would enjoy doing a WC setup, I have issues with leaving things alone. Good is never good enough! I am using EVGA ELEET to monitor my CPU temps and yes I am looking at core temps. I have heard that I should just use the games I play for a benchmark test.

Aha, Try the programs the pros use. I'm not a pro, but they are the best proggies out there, I have used some of them for at least 7 years. We never trust Mobo software for temps, EVER.

Some games are different, people use different settings. That's why we have benchmarking and load programs so, as the pros do, we are all on the same page. Your numbers could be totally whacked, use what we use so we can compare please.

You could use MSI combustor on your GPU's but that pushes cards WAYYY more than normal use, that's why I suggest Heaven. Furmark is another hard pushing program.

You have heard kinda correct, there is normal use and hard testing to check for faults and max load. And again, we need you to ue what WE use for comparisions.

Also, your room temps matter, every C in room temp is a C in chip temps. Physics dictates this with air cooling.

I understand about the temps from motherboard software, I have ASUS Thermal Radar, temp are fairly close at idle but way off on load. So what program do you suggest for CPU temp monitoring, Realtemp or HWmonitor? For my GPU I have been using EVGA OC Scanner to test out my OC settings, but I will download the Heaven benchmark and give that a try. I think it was in the EVGA forum I heard something about Furmark causing problems. I also understand about room temps, I usually have it about 22C.

I understand about the temps from motherboard software, I have ASUS Thermal Radar, temp are fairly close at idle but way off on load. So what program do you suggest for CPU temp monitoring, Realtemp or HWmonitor? For my GPU I have been using EVGA OC Scanner to test out my OC settings, but I will download the Heaven benchmark and give that a try. I think it was in the EVGA forum I heard something about Furmark causing problems. I also understand about room temps, I usually have it about 22C.

Okay, I said what to use in a prev post. Read more, not skim......... And for good GPU temps the EVGA GPU program is fine. I use HW monitor, I mentioned it already? It is good for CPU AND GPU temps, I use Realtemp to make sure, if the CPU matches in both programs, I stay with HW Monitor.

No skimming on our replies please, we have only the rest of our lives to help thousands like you on a daily basis. And we are free.

I am not skimming, I did not know to use both. I was just wondering if one was better than the other. I am new to this whole computer scene so please understand that somethings that are obvious to you may not be to me. I do appreciate your help though. I am downloading the Heaven benchmark as I type this.

Last edited:
I am not skimming, I did not know to use both. I was just wondering if one was better than the other. I am new to this whole computer scene so please understand that somethings that are obvious to you may not be to me. I do appreciate your help though. I am downloading the Heaven benchmark as I type this.

HWMonitor and RealTemp both pull from the same sensor, and I don't think either adjusts the value (other than turning it into an actual temperature, of course)

I downloaded the Heaven benchmark, have not run it yet, and HWmonitor. I don't think I need Realtemp too (if I do please tell me). I ran Prime for 10 minutes and the highest my CPU temps went was 56C.
Yeah I think the EVGA ELEET monitors the same sensors as Realtemp and HWmonitor, it showed the same temp on my CPU. I do like HWmonitor though nice layout and simple.

Last edited:
that being said.
I think the stickies deserves an update.
recommending the Raystorm over other new CPU waterblocks.. is like.. recommending a Windows NT. Raystorm is good and will get the job done, but I feel we should collectively already understand that it is a 4 year old piece of metal at this point.

I also feel we should give more Push to the MCP35X series pumps, whenever I see people using MCP655.. I am like.. ..

OGY.jpeg

yes that pump works.. but why fit a Hippo into your Case, when you can nice small MCP35X does it better?

The only legitimate reason is noise, as far as I'm concerned.

ok. MCP35X is a little noiser on MAX power..
but that's only cause it's MAX power is much better than MCP655.. I think if anyone can give it PWM control, that pump can be running at 60%-75% most of the time.. and I think... the noise will be on par with MCP655..

but yes.. if you can't give it PWM control, then MCP35X is marginally nosier than MCP655.. I have both, so I know its true.

Thank you for the updated info. I am fine with some noise, so I will look into the MCP35X pump. I really like the looks and leds of the XSPC Raystorm, but am open to look at other options. I don't need the best of the best, but I do want quality components. Thanks to all who are informing me about all this stuff!

You can also check out the Koolance CPU 370
and EK Supreme HF (not the surpremacy, that's UGLY as sin)

Good luck!

Back