• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First watercooled build advice wanted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Human0Target

Hi All,

This will be my first watercooled build, and wanting some advice (starting the cooling portion of the build now, but system wont be for another 2-3 months)..

I'm looking to keep this machine as quiet as possible for recording audio, but it will be a games machine.. it's replacing an Intel i7-3930K system with SLI'd GTX670 Gfx cards...

System:-
Phanteks Enthoo PRO M
SLI'd GTX1070 (or an equivalent Radeon(s) )
Intel Core i7-6900K (or possibly a i7-6850K)
an X99 Mbd (or its replacement if available)
2* XPG Dazzle 16GB DDR4-3000 CL16
M.2 PCIe SSD boot disk
2* 512GB SSD in Raid 0

Water cooling (somewhat limited here in NZ)

EK-CoolStream XE 360 Radiator (Top Mount)
EK-CoolStream SE 240 Radiator (Front Mount)
EK-SUPREMACY EVO waterblock CPU
2* waterblock for GFX cards
EKWB EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM ELITE (INCL. PUMP) (Pump and Resovoir)
plus tubing and fittings..

I'm thinking that the loop will look like this:-

Res->pump-> XE360 -> CPU -> SE240 -> splitter -> GPUs -> back into Res....

Due to issues with my current system I plan on using the rear case fan and top radiator fans to pull air in, and use the front to pull air out so exhausting trough the case front.. at the moment hot air in summer gets trapped under my computer desk, and makes things uncomfortable while sitting at the desk...

Thoughts, Advice.... please help a noob out here :)

hey Human0Target! The loop list seems good, even though I would go for Black Ice or Alphacool rads (personal taste, there is nothing wrong with EKs compared to the others mentioned). I think though that maybe you should go for the D5 pump/res combo since you got a lot of rad and block going on in there. As soon as you got proper flow the order in the loop doesn't really matter. What fans are you planning on using? You also might not want to to the front as your exhaust route since the top rad is thicker than the front, if you push/pull conf you will be pushing much more air in the intake resulting in trapping hot air inside the case which will increase your case temps.But you should also wait for some more experienced member to jump in and clear this out ;) . Tubing go for Primochill Advanced LRT, it's what most of the people use in their loops here.

I'm assuming you will overclock since you're building a custom loop, so you might want to grab G.Skill RipjawsV or TridentZ at the same rating, they are the best kit for OC out there. If I were you I would also dump one GTX 1070. Most of the games or apps don't utilize it so it's more or less waste of money. You could invest it in a GTX 1080. But again these are my thoughts! You might as well want to wait for a more experienced member to answer ;)

Hi Itachill,

Thanks for the response..

Somewhat limited as to cooling options here, but I can definately get a D5 option for the pump/res combo..

not sure about the fans yet, Phanteks make some nice quiet, high CFM fans though.. probably go 140s on the front and 120s on the top....

Piping will be the primochill LRT (in blue, not that it matters) 1/2" ID/3/4" OD

Might go for the single 1080 then... I'm pushing a 1440p monitor so need all the pixels

Hi Itachill,

Thanks for the response..

Somewhat limited as to cooling options here, but I can definately get a D5 option for the pump/res combo..

not sure about the fans yet, Phanteks make some nice quiet, high CFM fans though.. probably go 140s on the front and 120s on the top....

Piping will be the primochill LRT (in blue, not that it matters) 1/2" ID/3/4" OD

Might go for the single 1080 then... I'm pushing a 1440p monitor so need all the pixels

As Conumdrum said below, stick with the 3.2! Usually people in here use Gentletyphoons AP-15s as a fan option. They can reach a max of 1850RPM with about 28 dba at the RPMs said. I'm currently building a new loop and I'll be getting the EK-Vardars, u might want to check those out as well.

Back