• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fixing bent corners on an Opteron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I picked up 3 Opteron 6174 CPUs with bent corners on ebay for a pretty cheap price. They were sold with bent corners, and untested. It worked out for me as one of them worked just fine and I paid less for all 3 than 1 6172 would have cost me.

Anyway the other two I suspect aren't working due to the corners being bent enough that some of the pads aren't touching the pins in the socket.

Here is a pic of one of them.

attachment.php

Does anybody have any idea of how I might bend them back without damaging them?

Or any suggestions on how I might build up the contact pads to reach the pins?

I would try supporting the corners, with the proc's oriented as you have them in the pic, and using some type of weight to apply pressure on the CPU... With a shim of some sort under the IHS so it doesn't bend to far.

This is just an idea, and not something I've actually tried, or can confirm works.

PCB is cracked. There is no fix.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 87
Yep, scottie beat me to it. PCB looks cracked. no harm in trying now so I'd try heating it up in the oven and ever so gently reseting it to it's natural position. No Guarantee's of course.

For example FR-4 is apparently woven glass fiber and epoxy. According to one source "methylene chloride based paint stripper", "lacquer thinner", and heat will all soften epoxy.
I saw this on an arduino site about bending pcbs. So try some laquer thinner, along with heat so that hopefully, very little force is needed.

Well, taking a few other photos, I got better ones of the crack. Also, the other non-working one is also cracked.

xsuperbgx, think it is still worth trying the laquer thinner and heat? I'm willing to try it, if there is a chance it might fix it, but I'm ok if it isn't.

I'll post a picture of the other non-working one as soon as I've got it resized.

Edit: here it is

20140426_210142.jpg

If they are already dead, it couldn't hurt. It could be a learning experience, if nothing else.
If only the fiberglass layers are broken, perhaps they will re-mend with the laquer thinner. If the copper traces are broken, I wouldn't expect them to work.

If they are already dead, it couldn't hurt. It could be a learning experience, if nothing else.
If only the fiberglass layers are broken, perhaps they will re-mend with the laquer thinner. If the copper traces are broken, I wouldn't expect them to work.

Makes sense.

I'll probably give it a shot in a few days. I've been mostly out of it since my migraine started last night.

Well, taking a few other photos, I got better ones of the crack. Also, the other non-working one is also cracked.

xsuperbgx, think it is still worth trying the laquer thinner and heat? I'm willing to try it, if there is a chance it might fix it, but I'm ok if it isn't.

I'll post a picture of the other non-working one as soon as I've got it resized.

Edit: here it is

View attachment 143039

Dang, that looks broke on two sides. :rain: Well you said you got 3 for 1.

Back