• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bent front USB pins on mobo, fixable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

My mobo has the front usb fan headers on the bottom. While installing new fans and a vertical GPU mount I bent nearly half the pins. Could they be fixable or should I just forget about them and use the back ports, which I do have enough of.

A picture is worth 1000 words. How bad is it? Likely you can fix them...

Last edited:
just bend them back. if they break, well it was not like they would work while bent so no loss.

Lol

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

usb before.jpg Before
usb after.jpg

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I learned my lesson. don't mess with delicate parts after drinking.

Nice job. Back in the day a friend of mine modded a rackmount network switch into a mini-pc with a mini-itx core 2 duo. He didn't want to cut out all the rear IO, just VGA LAN and USB. I advised him on using metal side-cutters to remove the audio ports and possibly parallel \ serial. Works fine if you're careful.

Now whip out the soldering iron... remove the USB port entirely. Solder a thunderbolt connector on there. Connect to doppler radar...

What is the difference? My new MB has USB 3.1 10 gig type A and Type C I believe. Is Thunderbolt 3 more than USB-C?

Ok thanks. So it is a higher bandwidth version of Type C basically? I know thunderbolt can run a PCI-E enclosure for say, a GPU along with 10 gig networking and an NVME drive. I'd assume you can NOT run any PCI-E devices over type-c, but I do know you an run USB3 SSDs and USB high-speed network solutions.

Instead of 2 working ports, your only going to have 1 port, best thing to do is replace the whole connector.

USB 3.0_pinout.jpg

Instead of 2 working ports, your only going to have 1 port, best thing to do is replace the whole connector.
Oh wow... didn't notice he lost a pin...

Not sure he can replace the connector without desoldering the connector and resoldering it... thats done as far as I'm concerned. :(

I take it back, if the external USB device has it's own power, then no problems but a USB flash drive? no way on port 1.

Back