• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flight Simulator X Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eskimochaos

Hey guys just got Flight Simulator X from a friend - pretty neat game however, I cant land. I set up my flight to go from Newark Airport to London Heathrow airport. From what I understand London has the ability to land via autopilot. So after I take off, i switch the button to GPS from NAV, hit the approach hold switch so that it follows the flight path and have the altitude locked at 35,000 feet. Additionally, I have autothrottle toggled with a max speed of 330 knots. I am flying a Boeing 747 btw. My question is now do I need the alititude lock on - and basically what I do to land... I go to my GPS - then from procedures I can pick approaches then vector - then a list w/ a bunch of letter and number combinations. Then if I hit procedure again after selecting approach I can activate it then there is a activate vector option. k

So basically, my question is how do I land a Boeing 747 on autopilot at an airport that supports autopilot landings.

Thanks!

Descend to altitudes ordered by ATC (usually 2100 for Heathrow iirc). Click APP before the intercept of the ILS (green arrows on GPS). Before you intercept, also tune NAV 1 to the ILS frequency you're landing at, which is 109.5 or 110.3. This should get you descending to land.

I fly it manually until I'm at the OM on the ILS, then switch to APP hold. NAV1 should be tuned to the ILS frequency and your heading hold should be on the inbound path of the ILS. Autothrottle and speed hold off, control it with the throttle, flaps, and speed brakes. I just use the GPS for reference. Never have been able to figure out how to fly a GPS approach (in real life or in the sim)...

Wanna do something fun? Jump in a King Air, get set up on an ILS at the OM or just beyond, then roll over to inverted and change the visibility to 0, heavy clouds and rain. Now try flying the ILS (don't forget to flip back over at DH!). :D :D

Oh, while we're on the topic of FSX, has anyone been able to figure out how to get airplanes to do proper spins???? Or how to land in a good slip??? I can easily handle a 15kt crosswind in the Citabria in real life, but I can't properly land the stupid 172 in FSX if the crosswind is more than 8kt or so...)

The term is called "crabbing" I believe.

Here is a pic from about a year ago. My first real time in strong winds.

KBEDcessna182.jpg

Last edited:
Back