• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

flow indicators and sensors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
I'm gearing up for a major rebuild soon. So, I ordered some things for the watercooling loop to do while I have everything disassembled, like new tubing, a couple more barbs, and a kit to swap my Swiftech Apogee GTZ block over to the new socket. I also bought some new Arctic Silver 5, some fan power adapter cables, and a couple of Swiftech universal GPU waterblocks for half price. Why? Because they were half price! Never know when I might get a wild hair and try watercooling two cards in crossfire. Then I looked at flow indicators and bought the Bitspower flow sensor. I've wanted something like this for a long time. These are little devices to visually show you that coolant is flowing through the loop. For peace of mind purposes. You never know when a pump will fail.

This gadget also has "fan RPM" wire that converts the pulse signal to what the motherboard BIOS thinks is fan RPM. So, I'll plug it into the CPU fan header on the motherboard. While this does not truly measure the amount of flow, but, it does monitor fllow the loop. If flow stops, then you can set it to trigger an alarm and/or have the BIOS automatically shut the system down. And lastly, this "thing" is really cool looking (pun intended).

I pulled a random photo off the web to get an idea how people are mounting them. It might be hard to see, but on front side of the round clear window there is a little impeller or fan blade thing. When your water loop is flowing properly, this will spin. The wire connector is on the back side. Whoever set this up did a great job.

Anyone else have this Bitspower Flow Indicator? Any thoughts on where I should install it? On the outside of the case might be nice, but that's a lot of work.

corsair350_025.jpg

NOTE: This is not my computer.

Last edited:
I don't use a flow meter/sensor, but I do have the cpu overtemp enabled in the bios. So incase of pump failure, the cpu will reach it's set thermal shutdown temp in the bios and thus will shut itself off without any damage.

I've seen several different versions of flow meters/sensors. The one i like most is the digital display version. If i do decide on getting one it will be the digital.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I always monitor temps. Mine is the same way, if it gets to a certain point, it'll start throttling. Does a shut down if it reaches whatever temp you decide is critical. I had originally envisioned an actual meter or digital display. But, as long as the BIOS gets a signal, then I don't mind having a little fun with a spinning impeller. Maybe I can remove one of the 5.25" drive cover plates and mount the flow indicator there, so it can be easily seen. Dunno? That's why I posted this thread. I was hoping someone would have an awesome idea that I could try.

Last edited:
Modded Lite-On FS020. I think they stopped making this case 15 years ago. It was part of the Swiftech Q-Power watercooling kit I bought. Let me see if I can find a pic of it sitting on my desk. Most pics I have are showing its innards.

Flow meters/sensors are a nice touch and you can be OCD like me, get boozed up and watch the little spinning wheel going "Ooooo, nice" ;)

I love my flow meter as that gives me an indication of the health of my loop's flow. Saved me lot's of trouble in the past.

I also have the koolance digital display version + flow sensor but only use the Aquacomputer High Flow sensor because of the Aquaero system I'm using now which displays on screen and software.

My Bitspower flow indicator, bay reservoir, and other misc. parts were delivered today. Now that I have the flow indicator in hand, I decided not to use it. I like the simplicity of my current loop and I have used watercooling now for 15 years without a flow sensor. I've heard they can sometimes reduce flow. Besides, I could not find "the perfect place" to put it, so I decided to scratch it off my list.

I've been admiring the folks with hard lines, some of them look awesome. Admittedly, I thought long and hard about it. My brain hurt a little because it's been years since I've done any thinking. Anyway, I decided to stay old school with flex lines. It sure makes swapping parts in and out easier.

Now, I will use the brand new Bitspower bay reservoir. It has a front plexi window, so you can visually see water flowing and swirling around. It's cool looking and sort of acts like a flow indicator too. Once I remove the old reservoir, that should free up some space. I have plans for that soon to be vacant real estate. This new reservoir is designed for two LED lights, if you want to add them (not included). I have a couple side fans with blue LRD lights, so blue LEDs in the reservoir would match well. Where do you find them?

Last edited:
Back