• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flow rate 14 L/H - Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

animalmom

Registered
hello - I have completed construction of my first hard loop with distro plate.

The distro plate has 2 D5 fans - both I have confirmed are running at 4750 or so RPM

The flow rate initially was still very low - like 40 and itÂ’s getting slower.

What could cause this? Something is slowing down the flow but I cannot figure out what it is.

I understand from some googling that it should be much higher (200+)?

Both radiators are new. I am at a loss.

CE3C00D8-C14B-4728-B515-3F51DB96D1FC.jpeg

I think we are going to need more info. The water is flowing at 40 what? L/m, L/H, G/m, G/H?

For what it's worth, your flow rate should be in the ballpark of 1 Gallon per minute. It can be somewhat higher or lower without issue.

Apologies, L/H.

I think maybe the sensor is bad. You can see the reading on thermaltake sensor on the right

It just seems so slow. 19 l/h is about 5 g/h no?

OK thanks.

Yes, since the Thermaltake uses L/H you want to be in the 200(+) range. You are definitely running slow. You said this is your first hard loop but I'm not sure if it's your first custom loop so I'll assume it is and ask some basic questions first. Please don't take offense.

1. New radiators - Did you flush the radiators before installing them? New radiators will contain manufacturing 'debris' that will clog up your water blocks, pump, and meters.

2. Air bubbles - Air can cause a significant reduction in water flow. Are you sure you don't have a large bubble at the pump?

Side Note: You've done a beautiful job with this build. Outstanding cable management and tube runs.

How very kind. It means a lot. It is not my first water loop. ItÂ’s my 4th but first hard loop. I did 4xhot water vinegar flush + 3x distilled flush

I am absolutely not sure I donÂ’t have a bubble. What should I do??

With soft tubing, we'd tip the case and rock it to and fro to try and dislodge bubbles. I'm not sure if that is viable/recommended with hard tubing.

Since your distro plate, blocks, and tubing are all clear, if you have a bubble it will be in one of your radiators. Try rocking the case side to side and front to back to allow any bubbles to work their way to your fill port (which should be at the top). then top off your system. I'm doubting this is what it is though tbh. Your pumps are at the very bottom of your loop and should still provide adequate flow, even with a bubble in your rads.

Can you verify that the sensor is reading accurately? You have a visual flow indicator mounted above the sensor, how fast is it moving? Seem normal?

TBH Il the visual seems slow. I have gotten zero flow on the thermaltake and the visual kind of slowed down. I am asia time so i will try all that you had suggested and do a drain. LetÂ’s see. Thanks again

TBH Il the visual seems slow. I have gotten zero flow on the thermaltake and the visual kind of slowed down. I am asia time so i will try all that you had suggested and do a drain. LetÂ’s see. Thanks again

Ive drained it and refilled it and itÂ’s the same. Someone on a reddit thread I started thinks I may have too many 90 degree bends.

IÂ’m thinking about taking out the hard tubes with the exception of the flow meter and doing soft to test it

While I'm not a fan of 90s in a loop two D5s should be able to handle that loop no sweat. I would bet on the flow sensor being bad. Flow sensors are notorious for weird readings and Thermaltake is even more notorious for junk hardware.

I know a lot of people get hung up on flow rates but what are your temps? If they are good then flow rate means very little imo.

I think he said the visual (the analog wheel thing in the block) was slow too. That said, unless it's really slow, it's hard to know what's right..but if it's a blur, I'd imagine it's close.

That a good question regardless.... what are te.ps of your components?

Temps are bad. 65 degrees on GPU with 85 degree (c) hotspot

On a Reddit thread discussing this someone told me my flows are wrong and the pump is having to do 2x the work it should

I copied the flow from a YouTube pc guy who builds beautiful machines hut the whole time I throughly the flow was odd

He ended up adding an external pump and res because his temps were too high which was also weird and now I think I know why

IÂ’ll report back when done to see if IÂ’m right and thanks all!

Is there a chance your flow is going in the wrong direction? I.e. not flowing through the sensor correctly or through either of the water blocks?

Is there a chance your flow is going in the wrong direction? I.e. not flowing through the sensor correctly or through either of the water blocks?

Thanks, I wondered that - it is going trhough the blocks correctly and the sensor.

Awesome news. So just to clarify the order it goes, Pump - Distro - Sensor - GPU - 240 - Distro - CPU - Visual Guage - 360 -Distro - Pump. Does that seem right to you?

If this is correct then you have your GPU connected backward. If I have the flow wrong then your CPU looks backward. I'm not a fan of Distro plates, they make this so confusing. LOL Either way, you want the water coming in over the center of the CPU/GPU processor and not from the outsides.

Nice to see some progress!!!

+1 to blay on distro plates. They look cool... but makes a simple man like me stress out. :clap: :rofl:

Hey boss.. please host the pictures here at OCF (like you did with the first pic). These imgur links won't have your picture anymore. YOu need to be in advanced reply to do so.

Actually it now goes pump big rad cpu GPU rad 2 res pump
Flow meter is before gpu

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

When itÂ’s done and pretty i for sure will

Back