• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Flowmeter RPM signal to MB and a front panel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liquidmouse

Hello!

I would like to know if there is any possibility of damage to my motherboard if I use a "Y" cable to connect the RPM signal cable of a Koolance Flow Meter Frequency Adapter for INS-FM17N (http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...duct_info&cPath=59_239_1090&products_id=28876) to the CPU fan connector of my ASUS Maximus Extreme IV AND the fan connector of front panel fan controller, in this case, it is the Scythe Kaze Master (http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...cription=1&keyword=Scythe+Kaze+Master+II+5.25).

I think that the cable from the Koolance gadget transmits only a frequency signal to the mb reciver without drawing any power from the MB, so my second question is: if the cable is split in two diferent destinations, won't the signal become to weak for both dispositives to read it (the MB and the front panel display)?

Is it also possible to use a "Y" cable to connect one temp sensor to the front panel mentioned above and a big NG fan controller?

Thanks

Just to clarify, you're concerned about running two RPM wires to one mobo header? I can tell you that the data from both of them will be useless, but it is highly unlikely that it will do any damage.

Hello!

I would like to know if there is any possibility of damage to my motherboard if I use a "Y" cable to connect the RPM signal cable of a Koolance Flow Meter Frequency Adapter for INS-FM17N (http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...duct_info&cPath=59_239_1090&products_id=28876) to the CPU fan connector of my ASUS Maximus Extreme IV AND the fan connector of front panel fan controller, in this case, it is the Scythe Kaze Master (http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...cription=1&keyword=Scythe+Kaze+Master+II+5.25).

I think that the cable from the Koolance gadget transmits only a frequency signal to the mb reciver without drawing any power from the MB, so my second question is: if the cable is split in two diferent destinations, won't the signal become to weak for both dispositives to read it (the MB and the front panel display)?

Is it also possible to use a "Y" cable to connect one temp sensor to the front panel mentioned above and a big NG fan controller?

Thanks

Welcome to OCFs.

I have thought about doing that a long time ago but I just went with a Koolance Flow meter adapter with Display. I have the display in front and have the read out wire coming from the adapter to my CPU fan header. I don't think you'll damage anything since it's just a RPM readout.

Yes I want to split in two the rpm wire that comes from the Koolance flowmeter and connect one end to the mobo e the other end on the fan controller panel so that I can see the rpms on the front panel and the BIOS can keep watching if the pumps are working.

My main concern was if the reading by the BIOS end by the fan controller panel wouldn't overload the circuits of the rpm signal generator of the Koolance gadget, but as the two of you have confirmed, it seens that the curent draw is to low to cause any damage :)

Thanks very much for your reply.

Ahh, I see what you're asking now. You want to read RPMs in two places. As long as the ground is common between the two (which it should be), you shouldn't have issues. The only issue I could see would be if the current draw is too high. There's no issue in hot-swapping the RPM wire, so you could just monitor it on one, then connect it to the other and see if the behavior changes.

The RPM sense is an output, so the fan should be generating it and the other end shouldn't be putting any power down the wire.

Yes, the flowmeter is currently connected to the cpu fan of the mobo and now, I just want to see the rpm directly on the fan controller panel :)

Thanks for the help :)

Back