• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Foam won’t leave my water cooling system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jene487

I built my own PC for the first time and decided to go with water cooling. I let it run for 24 hours and it’s great so far (no leaks). However, it seems that there is too much foam (not even air bubbles). I drained it and I tilted it, I put new coolant , and I still get the same result. Any suggestions?
My setup: res-gpu, gpu-cpu, cpu-radiator, radiator- res.

8b929855-ff9c-457a-bfbb-81a97332dc8c.jpg

Last edited:
OK. Prior to using any water cooling component it is necessary to fully rinse and in some cases "prep" the loop. There are manufacturing debris that remains in many of the components, mainly speaking the radiators. There may be other explanations for the foam that I'm not aware of.

I will say to go with a hard line water cooled rig for your first build is quite bold and ambitious. I like it!

OK. Prior to using any water cooling component it is necessary to fully rinse and in some cases "prep" the loop. There are manufacturing debris that remains in many of the components, mainly speaking the radiators. There may be other explanations for the foam that I'm not aware of.

I will say to go with a hard line water cooled rig for your first build is quite bold and ambitious. I like it!

Thank you! So do you recommend taking out the component again and cleaning them? If so, what exactly should I used to clean them?

I think before you do a full tear down more info is needed. What coolant are you using?

I think before you do a full tear down more info is needed. What coolant are you using?

My first coolant was thermaltake blue pastel coolant. I emptied it out and now I’m using EK blue coolant

My first coolant was thermaltake blue pastel coolant. I emptied it out and now I’m using EK blue coolant

This is name to be precise: EKWB EK-CryoFuel Premix Coolant, 1000mL, Navy Blue

I purchased two of these TT Pacific kits. I ended up only using 2 of the straight connectors and the pump.

The radiators do not have bleed valves and, from what I can see, you have not added one to the loop so if you aren't putting the pump/reservoir at the highest elevation relative to the rest of the loop, you aren't going to get the air out.

This said, I would do the following:

1 -- Remove 1.5"-2" of coolant from the reservoir by using the squirt bottle with the extension hose to suck it out. You'll add it back later.

2 -- Leave the fill/bleed connector OFF

3 -- Tip/prop the case FORWARD on something to raise the reservoir to the highest elevation you can get it to without coolant coming out the fill/bleed port.

4 -- Power on the pump and let it run (as long as you aren't pumping air through it.) to move the air out of the tubes and rad, and back into the reservoir (where the open fill/bleed port will allow the air to escape. That's important.)

Your bubbles will eventually bleed out. I ran mine ran for 24hrs to ensure there were no trapped air pockets in any part of the loop.

You can then add back in the coolant you removed earlier.

Seems like water cooling today is becoming more about looks than actually cooling, I do not use colored coolants or dyes, I don't think they are good products especially for your hardware, but people buy the crap so they keep selling it.

That Thermaltake case is IMO another interesting example of useless bling having your graphics card mounted like that and having to buy the optional PCI-E 3.0 extender to even run the thing?

We see a lot of ideas of good case designs come and go, and I guarantee you that one will eventually disappear, you don't need any more lengths of cables than necessary, or we'd still be running Ribbon Cables.

Foam is either:
#1 That coolant crap you are running (If color is your thing use colored tubing)
#2 You did not thoroughly clean and flush everything before putting it into service!
#3 You have a pin hole leak somewhere (which can when the system is running pull in microfine bubbles, which looks like foam)

Sorry No Offense, Just My Opinion. SS

Back