• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding on Server 2008 R2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Okay so I got my rear in gear and got my i5 3570K + ASUS Z77P8-PRO mobo together and I slapped in my 7850.

Installed Crimson 16.5.3 drivers (it failed but the drivers themselves installed, no catalyst control center) and was able to get the FAH 7.4.4 client up and running after a few other installs.

And it folds!:
Untitled.png
But I'm concerned about the low PPD.... That 7850 was able to pull at least 80K PPD just 2 years ago.
Should I go back to 14.9 drivers like I had years ago?

GPU-z reports full usage and it's running at full clocks @ PCI 3.0 x16 so I'm not sure what's up...
I copied my config.xml from my daily driver to the server but I'm not seeing the QRB on this WU? Maybe that's why??

Okay so I got my rear in gear and got my i5 3570K + ASUS Z77P8-PRO mobo together and I slapped in my 7850.

Installed Crimson 16.5.3 drivers (it failed but the drivers themselves installed, no catalyst control center) and was able to get the FAH 7.4.4 client up and running after a few other installs.

And it folds!:
But I'm concerned about the low PPD.... That 7850 was able to pull at least 80K PPD just 2 years ago.
Should I go back to 14.9 drivers like I had years ago?

GPU-z reports full usage and it's running at full clocks @ PCI 3.0 x16 so I'm not sure what's up...
I copied my config.xml from my daily driver to the server but I'm not seeing the QRB on this WU? Maybe that's why??

Well, for 1. change the date on your PC:
2008r2a.jpg
That can cause problems with F@H, it slows it down and confuses it.

2. 2008 R2 is the server version of Win 7 so if you have not done so, install Win 7 drivers for the GPU.

Well changing the date fixed the PPD issue!
Up to 47K now.
Untitled2.png
I'll install the 14.9 drivers now. I heard 15.6.3 was giving 400K PPD on 290x's so I though maybe it'll boost the 7850. Guess not? :shrug:

I've worked with 2008 R2 Enterprise and it did not like my 4P :bang head made the clock run fast, I would set it and 5 min later the clock would be off by 1 hour, 2008 R2 Standard was ok.
What version are you using? Standard, Data Center, Enterprise?

Last edited:
I've worked with 2008 Rs Enterprise and it did not like my 4P :bang head made the clock run fast, I would set it and 5 min later the clock would be off by 1 hour, 2008 R2 Standard was ok.
What version are you using? Standard, Data Center, Enterprise?

Standard right now. I was thinking maybe switching to Datacenter..

I have not activated my only key for Server 2008 yet so I still have 2 days to decide if I should keep it as Standard. It will only be for folding so yeah..

Upgrading server to Datacenter edition. My key only works for Datacenter.

Also sucks that since it's not activated yet, it shuts down after an hour of uptime so the server wasn't even folding last night :(

EDIT: VAMT is a sweet tool I have to say, lets you type in your key to check what editions of Windows it can be used for: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...w-to-verify-or-check-your-kmsmak-product-key/

And as it turns out my key is only good for Datacenter and Itanium64.

Last edited:
I haven't had my server 2008 R2 running in months. I was only able to fold on it for a short period and it was a pain in the neck. Now that I see you have yours up and running, I'll have to do likewise.

I haven't had my server 2008 R2 running in months. I was only able to fold on it for a short period and it was a pain in the neck. Now that I see you have yours up and running, I'll have to do likewise.

Its not that bad actually. All you have to remember is that the GPU drivers may not install properly, so just let the installer extract the files, cancel the installation and show Windows itself where the GPU drivers are using device manager. :)

The 7850 bounces between 60k and 80k PPD... So im keeping an eye open for 280x's, 290s and 290x's now.
Maybe ill convert the server to Nvidia if i can snag a 970.

Fold on!! :salute:

Server has been folding flawlessly for days. Only issues are with internet connectivity. No folding failures whatsoever :)
Thanks again Torin for the 280x's!

I went ahead and activated my Server 2008 R2 install last month. It's fully activated and folding nicely. Server also backs up weekly to my network storage too!

I settled on using AMD Catalyst 14.9 drivers. anything from "Omega" and onwards just gives me issues.
W2K8_Fld.PNG

Just incase, if system clock is always going astray, you might want to install the Meinberg NTP Client/Server and use that to sync your time with a Strata 1 or 2 internet NTP server.

Of you can go really crazy with NTP and setup your own Strata 1 PPS server with a Raspberry Pi and a GPS module.

Back