• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding on the new Ryzen processors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiteSmoker17

Im still running on my FX 8320, this summer i upgraded from my 670FTW to a EVGA 2060 xc. I cant believe the difference in ppd.
I have been folding off and on since 2004 and have acquired 8.2Mil points.
Now with the 2060 im getting 900k ppd. This is crazy how much tech has advanced.
I was wondering how the new 2000 or 3000 ryxzen cpus are doing in the folding scheme of things?
On the 8320 i ave 18k ppd. just curious how the ryzen chips do?

Yeah I have a 1950 threadripper running my main folding machine, but mostly because it has the most PCIe lanes for the money. It folds but it honestly comes out in the wash. You'd probably do better $/fold to do an Intel Haswell/Broadwell platform-enable CPU that can't do anything, really, on its own other than provide PCIe lanes. That's my plan for my next folder in the spring.

I think it has been determined that the PPD you receive from CPU Folding don't equal the KWh's you'll be paying for from the power company. The GPU only Folding is a much better route IMHO.
I recall my FX8320 stopped receiving work units for months at a time (been a while since I Folded with it), Stanford just didn't have projects to send out to my CPU.

While I'm not much of a folder, my understanding is that CPU folding still serves a place, even if it doesn't bring in the big points like GPU folding does. So if you're chasing credit primarily, loading up GPUs is a better way to go. Running CPU still does help out regardless.

mackerel makes a great point. CPU folding projects cannot be run efficiently on GPUs, so getting them crunched is valuable to the project.

The 3000 series Ryzen cpu's are actually pretty competitive from a PPD/watt perspective. I have a 3700x in my ITX box folding with 15 threads, power limited to 70W (PPT default is 88W), which does about 200-220K PPD. Folding on the CPU only adds ~35W of power draw to the system vs leaving it idle and just folding on the GPU. The initial cost to PPD is not competitive with a GPU though.

Yeah if I start folding on my Threadripper 3970X I wouldn't want to look at my electric bill...

Back