• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For 4K gaming with me having an RX 5700 XT ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViLzzz2010

Registered
what is the pairing for this card when it comes to AMD cpus and motherboards at the minimum? Btw I am in Canada and would be shopping Amazon, Newegg, Mike's Computer Shop, etc. The purchase is for gaming plus hopefully some streaming and video editing in the future but with the last 2 things mentioned I don't need to spend big money to satisfy what I would be doing. I am in Ontario btw so we got the 15% sales tax too. : S Anyway interested to hear what people say.

15%? Wow! They're bleeding you dry.

An Rx 5700XT would be great for 1080p gaming but probably would not give a satisfactory 4k gaming experience.

As far as pairing with a motherboard, that is not an issue. It would work equally well with any AM4 motherboard. Just make sure your case has sufficient depth to accommodate the card.

As far as the CPU goes, prices are really good right now for the Ryzen 7 3700X but even a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600X would give you almost the same gaming experience. The 3700X would be better for video editing as those kind of tasks often benefit from lots of cores, depending on the software used. Since high resolution gaming (i.e, 4k) will place more burden on the video card rather than the CPU (as opposed to 1080P gaming), you just need to get a CPU that is not bottlenecked by the games you will be running, regardless what resolution you will be running it at.

You really need to rethink the 4k thing. A 5700 XT will be the bottleneck in 4k gaming, not the CPU. To be honest, you really need an Rtx 2080 Ti to do good 4k gaming. If you can't afford that, then you will be much happier with 1080p gaming. Do you already have a 4k display?

What case will you be using? Will your case accommodate a full ATX motherboard or do you need a mini ITX or mATX motherboard?

Last edited:
And if you're not overclocking your CPU, don't spend a lot of money on the motherboard. Sometime later this month, the B550 motherboards will be introduced on the market so I would wait and see what kind of deals the will provide. Don't go extra cheap but don't go big dollar with the motherboard.

What is your budget and what components will you need to purchase as opposed to what you may be carrying over from an existing build.

Last edited:
15%? Wow! They're bleeding you dry.

An Rx 5700XT would be great for 1080p gaming but probably would not give a satisfactory 4k gaming experience.

As far as pairing with a motherboard, that is not an issue. It would work equally well with any AM4 motherboard. Just make sure your case has sufficient depth to accommodate the card.

As far as the CPU goes, prices are really good right now for the Ryzen 7 3700X but even a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600X would give you almost the same gaming experience. The 3700X would be better for video editing as those kind of tasks often benefit from lots of cores, depending on the software used. Since high resolution gaming (i.e, 4k) will place more burden on the video card rather than the CPU (as opposed to 1080P gaming), you just need to get a CPU that is not bottlenecked by the games you will be running, regardless what resolution you will be running it at.

You really need to rethink the 4k thing. A 5700 XT will be the bottleneck in 4k gaming, not the CPU. To be honest, you really need an Rtx 2080 Ti to do good 4k gaming. If you can't afford that, then you will be much happier with 1080p gaming. Do you already have a 4k display?

What case will you be using? Will your case accommodate a full ATX motherboard or do you need a mini ITX or mATX motherboard?

Not sure what you are looking at for 4K and the card I got as it does it more than fine. That is why people call it a great alternative to overpriced Nvidia stuff right now.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...eon-rx-5700-xt-benchmarks-1080p-1440p-4k-7001 (Just one site I found quickly that shows this.)

In regards to the video card it fits in my HAF 912 which is a really small case and in regards to cases I prefer to not spend too much on them so will be looking at new or used and low end for another if I used another.

As for a display I have a 4K tv locked to 60 Hz and will be using that as my display.

In regards to a motherboard I don't need bells and whistles as I don't use external devices often and as for an mATX board it may be what is in my HAF 912 right now but not sure. I definitely am not going to go mini ITX.

Also in regards to CPUs as for prices being good eh it seems what would suffice seems to be around the $269 to $319 (Ryzen 5 3600X) range and that is before taxes. : S Thankfully I believe ram has come down in price and I have seen boards cheap too and with overlocking being next to nothing with cpus these days I guess I am looking at a Gigabyte B450 board for $150 plus tax and then the ram well I would look at what the cheapest 16 GB DDR4 ram kit would be and it it seems they would be like $105 plus tax right now ... G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) seems to be a common choice on Newegg Canada (Yuck!) right now.

Soooooooooo ...... $574 + 15% tax

Now what I would like to try to do is buy some things on Amazon as I earn Amazon cash from doing survey work here and there so that will help with the cost.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

And if you're not overclocking your CPU, don't spend a lot of money on the motherboard. Sometime later this month, the B550 motherboards will be introduced on the market so I would wait and see what kind of deals the will provide. Don't go extra cheap but don't go big dollar with the motherboard.

What is your budget and what components will you need to purchase as opposed to what you may be carrying over from an existing build.

If I used anything it would be the PSUs I have and the case. As for motherboards yeah I won't be spending a lot of money on them as it just isn't worth it for a small overclock. Also about the B550s well good news was had when it was said B450s were going to be able to be flashed for longer life in terms of supporting further generations of AMD cpus. I saw somewhere too it was said some already likely have that taken care of. New stock ...

I am not one to tear about builds usually but certain parts I really did not need to mention as they are easy to find cheap like a case and a hard drive. I am just concerned with the cpu, mobo and ram and hoping to get the best bang for my buck even if it means having to upgrade in the future in terms of the cpu but I would like something that is properly matched with this video card.

In regards to a budget I think me mentioning what I would spend in the previous post kind of says it all. All I am trying to do too is avoid going 4 cores and 4 threads that is for sure.

You'll want to go with 3600 mhz DDR4 for a Ryzen 3000 CPU. Ryzen's thrive on high memory frequency up that point. Much beyond that and the RAM decouples from the infinity fabric frequency.

As for the 5700XT, I'm just parroting what many others on this forum have said for 4k gaming video card needs. I'm not really a gamer myself. So, I'll let others chime in to confirm or debunk what I said. The 60 hz. lock will likely make a difference there.

You may find that runing a Ryzen CPU at stock will give better performance in games since they don't generally overclock to max turbo speeds anyway. Games thrive on high per core frequency.

Last edited:
What is the make, model and wattage of your PSU?

Do you think the current case will provide adequate ventilation?

You'll want to go with 3600 mhz DDR4 for a Ryzen 3000 CPU. Ryzen's thrive on high memory frequency up that point. Much beyond that and the RAM decouples from the infinity fabric frequency.

As for the 5700XT, I'm just parroting what many others on this forum have said for 4k gaming video card needs. I'm not really a gamer myself. So, I'll let others chime in to confirm or debunk what I said. The 60 hz. lock will likely make a difference there.

You may find that runing a Ryzen CPU at stock will give better performance in games since they don't generally overclock to max turbo speeds anyway. Games thrive on high per core frequency.

I thought people have said that they really can't get ram running at the correct speeds many times with boards. I know I saw that for 3200 mhz DDR4 ram in stories past. Anyway the more I look at Amazon.ca the more I see good prices on stuff surprisingly. I am going to have to mix and match though most likely. I miss having NCIX around for competition.

What is the make, model and wattage of your PSU?

Do you think the current case will provide adequate ventilation?

Antec Earthwatts 750 W psu .... and it rated well back then and still is going today. I have never seen where I felt it could not keep up. It also was used to power a GTX 1080 Ti in the system before.

As for the current case it has a 200 mm fan up top and it is set up for push pull I believe it is said. Air pushed from the front and out the back and top. Having the sides off could be a good or bad thing which is what I do but anyway I have no problem thinking this can be used again. Honestly though knowing me I will likely buy a new case. I keep my builds.

For a new case I would likely look at an ugly Fractal Design case considering they are generally made sturdy and I see some priced well on Newegg.ca. I will try once again to find a case on sale for $59 to $99 or so before tax. I only paid $59 or so for my HAF 912 case. Seems I would then have to go with a MicroATX motherboard though ...

https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?N=100007582 600546036&cm_sp=Cat_Computer-Cases_3-_-VisNav-_-MicroATXMini

Regarding the first Gen threadripper, it will be decent for productivity tasks but it will struggle for gaming. For gaming you absolutely want Zen 2 silicon as the instructions per clock is much higher. For 4k 60Hz maybe things are not as CPU dependent, but I still would not drop back to Zen silicon. You can see here how Zen is comparing to Zen2 in games.

The 3600 will be just fine, in fact perfect for gaming and streaming, and be okay for video editing. If you really need to save money https://www.amazon.ca/AMD-8-Thread-Unlocked-Desktop-Processor/dp/B0876Y2TMZ/ (edit: 3300X is preferred here but absolutely not worth $270CDN when you can get a 3600 for $20CDN more) will game well but probably hurt your streaming and editing. You would also have this option https://www.amazon.ca/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-YD1600BBAFBOX/dp/B07XTQZJ28/. Even though it has the 1000 nomenclature it is actually a Zen+ silicon so it meets between having cores and IPC vs the Zen silicon of the TR (this is not true for every 1600 CPU, only the ones with "AFBOX" in the SKU vs "AEBOX").

It seems everything has a $100CDN premium on it though which is sad.

Regarding the first Gen threadripper, it will be decent for productivity tasks but it will struggle for gaming. For gaming you absolutely want Zen 2 silicon as the instructions per clock is much higher. For 4k 60Hz maybe things are not as CPU dependent, but I still would not drop back to Zen silicon. You can see here how Zen is comparing to Zen2 in games.

The 3600 will be just fine, in fact perfect for gaming and streaming, and be okay for video editing. If you really need to save money https://www.amazon.ca/AMD-8-Thread-Unlocked-Desktop-Processor/dp/B0876Y2TMZ/ (edit: 3300X is preferred here but absolutely not worth $270CDN when you can get a 3600 for $20CDN more) will game well but probably hurt your streaming and editing. You would also have this option https://www.amazon.ca/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-YD1600BBAFBOX/dp/B07XTQZJ28/. Even though it has the 1000 nomenclature it is actually a Zen+ silicon so it meets between having cores and IPC vs the Zen silicon of the TR (this is not true for every 1600 CPU, only the ones with "AFBOX" in the SKU vs "AEBOX").

It seems everything has a $100CDN premium on it though which is sad.

Dealing with the last part of your message eh yes everything in Canada is much more expensive. Now though I like the option you gave me in regards to the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 65W AM4 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler (YD1600BBAFBOX). If I have to cut a little out of the budget this is a good way to do it. It has 6 cores and 12 threads still and while these cpus don't OC very well it should not be hard to bump it up a bit. Thanks for the recommendation. As for the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X I thought because it has more cores, more threads, more cache and the 4 GHz speed I thought it might have been a good choice but holy man the cost of the motherboards for it. Forget it. Also I get that they were meant from productivity like Bulldozer was supposed to be.

PS: I just took the $20 I had in Amazon cash and after everything I got 8 GB DDR3 memory (2x4) Patriot Memory 8GB DDR3 1600 Extreme Performance Viper 3 Series Kit PV38G160C9K for $42.14. I needed more ram for this here pc anyway.

Patriot Memory 8 GB DDR3 1600 Extreme Performance Viper 3 Series Kit.jpg

If you want to pretty much ensure compatibility at a RAM frequency of 3600 mhz, just get one of the G.Skill kits made for Ryzen. But if you're not going with a Ryzen 3000 CPU, then drop it back to 3200 mhz. 16gb is recommended for modern gaming.

Did you just purchase DDR3 memory? DDR4 is required for any of the CPUs we've discussed. I would also suggest at least 16GB (2x8GB) for gaming. Edit: after re-reading I believe you purchased the DDR3 for a different system than the build we are discussing. I hope this is the case.

I'm guessing the 1600AF can overclock to 4.0GHz with decent cooling. Really if you can scrape together the funds for the 3600 I would suggest it over the 1600AF. By the time you add a cooler to OC the AF you've eaten up at least half your savings.

Dealing with the last part of your message eh yes everything in Canada is much more expensive. Now though I like the option you gave me in regards to the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 65W AM4 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler (YD1600BBAFBOX). If I have to cut a little out of the budget this is a good way to do it. It has 6 cores and 12 threads still and while these cpus don't OC very well it should not be hard to bump it up a bit.

If you're buying now and considering Ryzen the don't get an older gen CPU, the difference in IPC is too great and you're losing out.
I'm Canadian as well and get the disparity between the USD CAD pricing plus the 13% HST but you'd be further ahead waiting a bit until you can afford it.
This is where I would start
https://www.newegg.ca/msi-b450-a-pro-max/p/N82E16813144268 $150
https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232476 $132
https://www.newegg.ca/amd-ryzen-5-3600/p/N82E16819113569 $270

As for gaming at 4K with a 5700 XT there's no reason why it can't be done. All reviews set the quality to max/ultra, if you're willing to drop that to medium-low then you can maintain 60 FPS
As a test I have tried SOTR in 4K out of curiosity Medium settings average about 55 FPS and low is over 70 FPS

Back