• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fortron vs Sparkle - ¿Better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxxoverclocker

right now i have my power supply choice narrowed down to the Fortron 530 and the Sparkle 530 and i cant decide. i read that fortron makes sparkle though so are they the same powersupply? im just lookin for someone to make the decision for me lol.

I was looking at the same thing when I bought my Sparkle. They actually use the same exact Model Number for them. Any of the Sparkle Models that start with FSP=Fortron Source Power.

The guys at Sparkle Power USA used to tell me they were more high end than Fortron, citing the use of ball bearing fan in their power supplies. Can anyone confirm this?

Well the fact that they have to cite that means that its not a significant change in the hardware, i mean really the best they have is a slightly better fan?

hmm I think I saw someone say that sparkle was more toward no-frills, than the Fortron's. But yeah is the model number is the same the good stuff inside if the same.

schismspeak said:
hmm I think I saw someone say that sparkle was more toward no-frills, than the Fortron's.

I think I've said that recently myself ;)

I believe Sparkle is a Fortron Source subsidiary. The model in question is the same unit for both, and I believe Sparkle is the one that actually makes it.

However, if the system this is going into is 12v oriented, I have to recommend the AX500-A, or FSP460-60PFN instead. Both 460w units, they are more optimized for such systems than is the 530w.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
However, if the system this is going into is 12v oriented, I have to recommend the AX500-A, or FSP460-60PFN instead. Both 460w units, they are more optimized for such systems than is the 530w.

So for an Athlon XP-M system with a NV6800 what would you recommend? The AX500-A or the FSP530-60GNA?

I think I'd go with the AX500-A with those AN7 boards, assuming those are the ones you're buying for. The FSP400-60THN will also power that load pretty well.

The 530w should handle it too, though it wouldn't be my first choice at this point. And I say this as a very happy owner of a 530w - they're awesome units, just a little dated in their design now.

Yeah, I get that.... :shrug: Ok, with that out of the way. Which one? The Fortron AX500-A or the Fortron FSP530-60GNA

Oklahoma Wolf said:
I think I'd go with the AX500-A with those AN7 boards, assuming those are the ones you're buying for. The FSP400-60THN will also power that load pretty well.

The 530w should handle it too, though it wouldn't be my first choice at this point. And I say this as a very happy owner of a 530w - they're awesome units, just a little dated in their design now.

Yes, it would be for rig1... the antec psu i have in rig2 has real stable rails, so it's fine- I don't plan on replacing it. The antec Tru430w that came in rig1 with my antec 1080 case doesn't have the juice on the 12v rail. Fluctuates all over the place under load... sometimes down into the ~11.6v range. Plus I have this 6800 in here now with plans on moving up to the GT, so I think it might be time for an update on the psu to keep things stable and my oc not limited by lack of power.

I was leaning towards the 500w(460w actual) Blue Storm already. I like the dual 12v rails and it being ATX 2.0 capable, you also can't beat the price & it's $0.99 shipping @ newegg right now. Although I don't plan another build for another 6 - 9 months, I could also use it in my future A64 build if needed. So that's another consideration.

I was also looking at the OCZ 520w PowerStream, but it's more money and I hear so many good things about Fortron. Any other recommendations?

Back