• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FPS limited by Monitor Refreshing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DavidGzz

Registered
I'm sorry if this is a newbish question, but I was wondering all day about this, and decided to ask. My monitor, an LCD, refreshes at 70hz, which means 70 times per second.

When I'm playing Counter Strike, for example, I get around 80-90 fps, but here comes my question. Although the game refreshes the screen at 80-90 fps, my monitor displays 70 images per second, so wouldn't all fps above 70 look the same?

I am sorry if this a newbish question, but It is kinda confusing

-Davidgzz

In theory yes it does look the same, which is why we have VSYNC which will syncronize your FPS with the monitors refresh, reducing tearing among other things (the line you sometimes see giong up the screen when your FPS gets to high).

Flip-Mode said:
Umm...there is no refresh rate for LCDs.... as far as I know it doesn't matter if you set it to 100 or 60.
Someone correct me here.

Yes there is a refresh rate, it is just different. An LCD refreshes each invidividual pixel, so therfore, if it refreshes it 75hz per second (like my old LCD did) then you'd be able to see 75fps. I'm not sure if there are any LCDs that do higher than 75hz.

However, 60hz, 70hz, 75hz, etc. only make a small difference in the smoothness of the game but 60hz will not really hurt your eyes, etc. more than anything else would. ;)

Back