• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

so i just started a new job at a local medical center in the IT department and was walking around getting myself acquainted with the layout of the buildings etc and came upon some servers they were throwing out, so i ask my boss if i could grab one and he said yes,

its a Asus RS120-E4-PA4 1U rack mount server it has no hard drives and was wondering how i did with this score, it should be fine for my needs

IMG_34581.jpg

IMG_34591.jpg

C2Q and 8GB for free? Not bad at all.
What are you trying to do with it?

Only issue with a 1U is that it'll be loud.
If it's an ATX board you can just toss it into a tower case though.

C2Q and 8GB for free? Not bad at all.
What are you trying to do with it?

Only issue with a 1U is that it'll be loud.
If it's an ATX board you can just toss it into a tower case though.
i plan to use it for messing around with different servers, may pair it with a cisco router and switch for a ccna lab with active directory etc

That looks nice for free. Really nice it came with the ram. HD is cheep anyway
http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Servers_Workstations/RS120E4PA4/
i really like how the hard drive bays are not scsi bays but regular sata

you should tell them instead of just throwing them out that they should donate them to some place

you should tell them instead of just throwing them out that they should donate them to some place

i would but i havent been here long so i will wait a while lol though now i am keeping an eye out for a newer model hp laserjet to replace my laserjet 4 and 4000 and maybe a router and switch :p

The only thing that is better than free junk hardware is free good hardware. That's an extremely capable machine, still. I would have offered to take them all off of their hands.

The only thing that is better than free junk hardware is free good hardware. That's an extremely capable machine, still. I would have offered to take them all off of their hands.

i wish i would have looked through all of them to see what else was there

so i wanted to update this post of sorts, have been here for a while now and have found out there is a area where they put stuff they dont want, that is to be thrown away and they dont care if people take it, so alot of computer stuff shows up like old desktops and laptops and even one mac book dont know what year but i do know it was after they switched to intel (i wish i would have seen it sooner), i missed it but i did pick up a dell latitude D830 and D620 both with dual core cpu's no hard drive and low on ram but thats easy to fix! i also picked up a dell docking station and a dell laptop cd/dvd drive

Back