• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help On Small Home Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

papazig

Hello all!

I'm new to the forum and servers, however, I'm not new to computing. I successfully built my own desktop computer but I wont get into that for its not the purpose of this thread

The Purpose: I want to build a home server that has three primary capabilities.
1. File storage and backup for local and remote users (< 10 users):
- I live in a house with 3 roommates. I would like them all to have access to their own directories on the server as well as shared directories but not access to others individual files. i.e., Adam can access server/Adam/files/etc. AND server/shared/files -- but not -- server/John/files/etc. ALSO , I would like remote family users from outside the LAN to have access to the server and their own directories. I'm sure this part i'll be able to figure out just by using the server software/OS -- either Linux or Windows; leaning towards linux

2. I would like the server to be able to stream media content to the users device whether on the LAN or Remote Access:
- This is where the shared directory comes in to play. Each user may add files to the shared directory so that the media may be streamed to another users device. This, I am a little more hesitant about how to implement. I'm sure there is some application out there that aids in this capability.

3. ***Most difficult and not sure how to implement*** I would like the server to host applications that may be emulated on the users device:
- Because there are multiple users whom all have different OS; i'm thinking (guessing) I need to virtualize the server for each OS: linux, windows, and mac.
- Essentially, I want the user to be able to emulate their preferred OS off the server( locally or remote) and run applications specific to that OS. i.e., Adam logs into the server and emulates windows environment to run MS Office products. When saving his files, they save to his directory(server/adam/files)
- I, as the admin, will pre-install applications for each virtualized server OS (if thats how this is to be done . . .) as a template on which each user is logged into. I'm not sure about the possibility or security of allowing the user to install applications on to the virtual server however, it may be necessary since I have a life and will not be at the beckon demand of my guests.

I believe the biggest challenges for me will be implementing capability number 3, as well as, implementing remote connectivity.
I understand the hardware requirements may be substantial. I am more worried about plausibility at the moment. But for s&g here is a potential hardware build:
- 1 tb SSD
- 2 tb HDD
- 32 gb ram + room for expansion
- Most likely tower as opposed to a rack
- server specific MB
- i7 CPU or AMD compliment (must support as an investor :D)
- GPU?? ***Do I need a graphics card on the server itself? If the graphics are displayed on the guest systems, will their GPU's do all the work?***
- Possibly upgraded Network card.

I know this is a lot and YES, I have researched other threads, but this is such a specific situation I need more directed advice.
Thank you to all whom are willing to help and are patient with me!

Cheers,

-Papazig

1 and 2 can easily be done with something like FreeNAS, and I personally do almost exactly that.

It's easy to create multiple directories with their own user permissions from the same volume and sharing the same physical space. I do media storing and distribution as well with Plex. Plex runs as a "Jail" in FreeNAS, which is kind of like a very stripped down VM running on the host OS. the Jail gets it's own IP, and is isolated from the host OS, but has all the same access to the host hardware resources. I'm probably explaining it wrong, but its working for me. I can access my plex content from anywhere with an internet connection and it's all rather simple with the Plex software. I share my Plex Media server with a few friends and they are able to access my server as well and view all my content.

FreeNAS also has the capability to run true VMs, but i'm not sure I understand what you want to do with option #3 or how to do that. It sounds almost like you want the users to boot from the network. Unfortunately i can't help there as i have never tried anything like that.

#2 is pretty easy too--you can just have the user log in to the lan from any remote location using ssl vpns like corporations do.

#3 is going to be quite the challenge as you're going to have to have a virtual install for each user and their software. You actually might be able to handle this easier by having 3 physical machines vs virtualization on one, and then a separate file server for 'saving'.

Pretty sophisticated setup imo for what you want to do. There are ways to simplify it and cut costs, but it won't be as 'nice and tidy' as a single server in a rack.

Easiest solution to accomplish 3 on your list would be to contact Citrix and purchase a XenApp license. Wont be cheap.

Back