• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freezing with 4 sticks??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlargCraft

Registered
First things first, setup:

CPU: Intel 3930k (stock speeds for now)
Mobo: Asrock extreme6/GB x79
PSU: Cougar cmx 1000w
GPU: Radeon hd 6950 (x2)
CPU cooling: corsair h100i
Case: CM Storm trooper
HDD: two wd 500gb (forgot the type)

and of course
RAM: G-Skill 16gb (4x4) 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 pn xmp 1.5v

on first boot the pc was fine, after half an hour though windows suddenly froze with no bsod. naturally i guessed it was either the psu or the ram because of the lack of a slowdown or bsod and the fact that the monitor display was frozen with performance monitor showing no sudden increases in load or anything like that. I checked all cables and made sure psu was fine. this time when i booted it froze more often, sometimes during boot itself! also at times the pc would boot with a black screen. At this point i removed all the ram and placed 1 stick (this is how i am running it now) and voila it works perfectly as if nothing happened. memtest shows no errors so i am stumped as to what this can be :shrug:

and yes when i try to place other sticks it goes back to freezing. no overclocks whatsoever and temperatures are excellent so not that either. thanks in advance :)

What G.Skill ram set is this ? Its on mobo QVL ? If not, Manual timing/volts/speed to be sure its not the mobo that doesnt set them correctly on AUTO.

Try each ram dim one at the time and memtest them to see if a dim is bad.

Then try each motherboard slot one at the time to see if a slot is bad.

If every slot/dim are OK one by one, Try with 2, then 3, then 4.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

its not on auto, its on xmp with the correct timings of 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v and like i said when i use more than 1 it freezes. currently testing the slots (cant believe i forgot to test each individually) i hope its not the mother board :(

edit: i forgot to add that all the sticks did pass memtest and when i put all four in the bios (if it didnt crash by this point) does read them all at their correct timings etc.. leaving me to assume the slots are fine?

not sure if that list even makes sense since according to that no 8x8 kit would be compatible with it yet it supports it??? testing now but so far second slot is working fine. (first works)

Those kit are the kit that Asrock may have tested and they know they work on the board. As i told, the kit i linked here is a 2x4 of very similar ram stick so your 4x4 kit could work fine IMO.

Good luck on your testing :)

UPDATE: This is going to sound very very stupid but.... In a last ditch effort to fix my problem i began cleaning the both the connectors and the slots. i had done so already but this time i went into obsession mode and cleaned each of the pins ONE BY ONE and voila, 16gb of ram working perfectly fine so far no crashes or anything out of the ordinary :) Part of me still refuses to believe it was something so simple as this though :confused:

Back