• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frequency noise coming from the Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lautaro13

Registered
Hello guys i recently bought an FX 4100 and an asus m5a78l-mlx
thing is since i turned it on, when it gets to the OS desktop (either Linux or Windows) it makes this strange frequency noise, like its getting the cpu load and making it noise.

At first i thought it was the PSU so i moved it far away to hear but no, its coming from somewhere around the CPU area.
I also disconnected my GPU but nothing...

It gets specially high when i open an aplication (chrome, firefox, games)

What is really strange is the fact that the sound wasnt working when i plugged in Linux (Ubuntu 12.04), then i ran Windows 7 x64, it worked after i installed the drivers (Nor Audio or Ethernet were working with the p&p drivers)
but now the audio is constantly giving me the "new connector plugged" and "unplugged", so i have no audio now, i reinstalled the drivers but problem persists.
And also, since i installed the drivers i get this "Digital Output" device i have no idea what it is (in my previous rig it wasnt shown by the realtek audio manager) and once Ethernet stopped working too.

check it out:
http://www.putlocker.com/file/62BB20BD6DFB413B

could it be a capacitor?

help me out please.

Last edited:
You can hear it from the file i left. Whats a coil whine? how do i fix it or what do i have to do exactly? i bought this stuff yesterday.

I can't hear it when im at the office or mobile. If its a high pitched whine its coil whine. Nothing u can really do about it.

Please check it out whenever you can, im in class right now, have no hurry atm...
i can change it, should i? is it dangerous to keep this mobo with this coil whine?

Thanks, please do. Does it have anything to do with the onboard sound card not working properly? Ill try to download the latest drivers when i get back.

I just removed the audio drivers and now i can hear a noise coming from the speakers. And i just noticed the screen was kind of flickering while on desktop, fonts and icons were a lil bit wrong defined. I noticed the same thing the first time i connected the cpu and mobo during the boot screen (no keyboard, mouse, hdd, or anything else connected except for the cpu, mobo and psu... it was when i turned it in for the first time to make sure it was working)

Is my mobo broken? should i RMA it?

heres a recording of the sound the speakers make, thats the most louder (i turned the volume up a few notches, but still is pretty loud in normal) they ever get:
http://www.putlocker.com/file/DA5E72966EB617D6

Last edited:
I wanted to report that im officially out of sound, i formatted, installed 7 x86 and the weird noise is gone in a 99% of the time, sometimes, you can hear it beep once in a while but its not persistant...

Thing is now the Realtek CP is not finding my speakers, tried with others and even with headphones, and nothing...

could it be that the Onboard Sound card was messed up from factory and that was causing this weird noise?

I should RMA it or theres a way to fix it? i only had this mobo for 1 day...

The coil could have crapped out, sure. If the audio isnt working on the rear and front panel (you installed the drivers right?), then its RMA time.

Yes, ive been changing drivers like crazy, and nothing, audio starts to plug and unplug my devide... even in linux the first time i booted didnt recognized the audio as plug and play at least...

about the noise, its officially coming from the PSU, but it does it WITH and WITHOUT my GPU, but im in my previous rig right now with everything plugged in and its not doing it at all, could it be that the new mobo is causing this noise?

coil whine, assuming that is what it is, is just a vibration due to the electrical frequency, so sometimes changing components can change if it whines or not.

Wiki - coil whine. :)

I did but i just dont want anything to break, understand my fear.
Would you suggest me to change my psu? im going to do it anyway but i would consider NOT use the new rig until i do if its dangerous.

How about the failing sound board? should i RMA the mobo?

Back