• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fresh W8 install, 46gb folder?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chifte

Registered
Hi all,

I've recently built a new computer, I decided to use a 64GB SSD for W8 and the main game I'm playing.

Now I've built this computer yesterday, installed W8, installed all drivers and then downloaded my 15GB game file, I am left with 2.6GB.

I tried to search and find what file is using all the space, there's a folder under my user name that says it's 30GB, yet when I open the file and look for what it is all the files are a single 15.6GB file then 400-600KB or 3mb-8mb files with no explanation for the other 15GB.

Anyone know what's going on?

I expected 20GB for the OS, 15GB download, then 20GB uncompressed and installed for the game, 2GB for drivers maybe resulting in 42 GB out of 59GB.

Last edited:
Not sure what is up with that folder, but disabling hibernation will clear up a fair bit of space and on an SSD it isn't really necessary.

Make sure to allow Windows to show hidden files and folders... Likely a few hidden in there...

What folder are we talking about?

PS: 64GB is nothing these days.

Make sure to allow Windows to show hidden files and folders... Likely a few hidden in there...

What folder are we talking about?

PS: 64GB is nothing these days.

I was going to post screen shots of my issue, but then decided to go into folder option and view all hidden folders.

User>My Name> Appdata> Local>Temp>AC3

So the issue was I had AC3 15.3GB on my desktop, then I had this hidden temp file with 15.3GB. Not sure how I did that, or why the system did that but none the less it's fixed.

Yeah 64GB is nothing that's for sure, but I was really confused as I thought Windows itself was taking up all that hard drive space. I really just want the SSD for booting and whatever flavor of the month game I want to play and fast load.

Now I'm happily playing AC3.

Anyway thank you for the tip, and thanks to the other members for trying to help, I appreciate it!

Happy Holidays cheers!

Do u have a folder called "old.window"?

Go to option to clean up windows, they should help clean up things that are taking up space. I had the same problem when I installed Win 8 from Win 7

Back