• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Friend buying card in an hour at microcenter "help make good purchase"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

Friend buying card in an hour at microcenter "help make good purchase"

Friend buying card in an hour at microcenter "help make good purchase"

So like the title says, my friend gave me a call this morning that his card has passed away. Now that the vigil is over and the card is laid to rest he is on his way to microcenter to buy a new one. He gave me a call so that I can help him choose a nice one.

He wants to spend ~$100. I will be looking at microcenters website, then looking at tom's and then cross referencing with newegg for price/reviews.

His build is not overclocked

q6600
8GB mem
was 9800gtx+
650watt PSU corsair.

So a solid build with a great quad core. Almost anything at $100 will be a great upgrade, but I am in the hunt to try to hook him up with a 2GB card. Might be hard with $100 budget.

Last edited:
Sorry, I did forget to say what it is used for.

Gaming, paying bills, checking email.

so basically gaming.

Why not a used one, with $100/$120, your buddy could get quite a decent gaming card.

Why not a used one, with $100/$120, your buddy could get quite a decent gaming card.

He does not want to mess with buying a used one off craigslist nor does he want to wait for one in the mail.

the $135 650ti is what he will be getting most likely. It will be a nice boost over a 9800gtx+

Thank you everyone for the quick responses and help. It is always nice to get a second opinion when making a purchase.

-Pinky

Back