• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

From p4 2.53 to a a64 3500+ question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LeEbZ0r

Hey guys, I have just placed an order on a a64 3500+ Venice and a soltek motherboard. I was wondering, will I notice a big improvement in-game over my current p4 2.53? I've heard great things about amd's and decided to make the switch. Thanks.

Depends on your graphics card and the amount of RAM, if you have enough RAM and good GFX card than you will notice nice performance boost.

You'll definately notice the differnence. I sold my P4 2.8E (@3.2) and Abit board for a 3200+ Venice and DFi board and I'm still using the same 6800GT and Corsair mem. At stock speeds it was very similiar gaming experience to the OC'd intel system. With a minor OC the AMD is really putting up some good numbers now.

Your going from a slower chip than my old one to a faster chip than my new one, so you'll be pleasantly surprised. The AMD feels 'snappier' too. Opening the 'programs' screen no longer has that delay it did with my old Intel rig.

I also think that it depends on your DRAM and Graphics Card. If you are using an ATi 9500 or Geforce FX 5600 you will not notice a great change in gaming. If you have DRAM and a Graphics card that will do justice to the processor/motherboard changeover then you will notice a fair difference in high resolution gaming. If you have DRAM and a Graphics card that will do justice to the processor/motherboard but only game in 800X600 mode then chances are you will not notice that great a difference.

Since you speak of gaming then it would help if you mentioned your RAM and Video card that you will be using.

R

Back