• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could use a little help with my over the top crazy build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlashRZ

Registered
Hi all, I used a website to create a build for you and here it is: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/FlahRZ/saved/cFb3FT

Please disregard the Noctua cooler, I just needed to shut that site up about a cooler. They didn't list what I'm actually planning on installing, which is an EKWB block on one of my Titan V's, one on the Threadripper 1950x, and the Mobo itself. I decided not to cool the RAM because I heard it's more for aesthetics and the chips I got are eye-pleasing enough.

Couple of issues running through my mind -

I'm having some second thoughts about water cooling this thing, only because EK's configurator is calling for a 420 mm radiator, which would have to go on top. I spent a pretty penny on this case, which is supposed to be gigantic, but I think the largest rad it could fit is a 360 mm. The Specs for the case are mid-page here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854056 (the specs tab doesn't do the page I linked justice or I would have sent you right there.) So my first question is to anyone who is really experienced with water cooling - can I fit some combo of EKWB rads (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/radiators-fans) into here that will be aesthetically pleasing while also accomplishing their goals cooling-wise, and if so, what would you recommend?

My second question has to do with power consumption. I think that build page has this build in the mid 600's of wattage. But that page isn't taking into consideration water cooling or overclocking. I was planning to use a 1,000 watt titanium PSU from EVGA that I listed on it. I also have some 1,600 watt Titanium PSU's from EVGA here in y stock as well, though I really am not a fan of how the actual power cable connects to the unit (I've returned multiple units because it's like throwing a hotdog through a hallway on many of them...) and it seems like overkill. The unfortunate part is I don't have the 1,200 in my stock and I would really prefer not to spend more money if not absolutely necessary. What do you guys think? DO I have enough power with a 1,000 watt Titanium rated PSU?

Finally, and this would change everything- I have 4 water cooled Pascal Titan X's in my stock. I am so tempted to use a bridge to link them and install them for a total GPU mem of 48 gb. The Titan V is frustrating because you can't SLI it because they didn't build it with the capability for it. And installing a second Titan V without SLI seems like overkill because it's only going to be utilized in highly specialized things that I might do very rarely, please correct me if I'm wrong. But if I go the Titan X route (may have to switch mobo's) then I would end up with the ugliest PC ever because of how much space it would take up in radiators, correct? EK's configurator is telling me I need two 420's and a 240, to place on the top and sides, which would be a huge eyesore, IMO. What would you do if you were me? The Titan V is plenty powerful. Do you go for more if you have it in stock (but it might be ugly) or just stay put with something that's still going to do great for you?

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it :) -Rocky Zadok

PS FYI, the primary use of this is to create word docs and maybe some excel spreadsheets... jk, lol, seriously, it's for some gaming and also some deep learning exercises in Python.

Last edited:
Didn't you already start a thread like this? I'm confused at what is going on with what hardware and cooling etc................... feels like groundhog day though.

1. Looks like a 4x120mm rad fits on the bottom (scrolldown and see pic)http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Elite.html

2. The 1KW PSU you already selected is plenty/overkill, including overclocking for one card. You can happily run on a 850W unit with overclocking. Water cooling is a few additional fans and a pump, like 30-40W at most (likely 20-30W). If you want two cards, I would go 1KW+.

3. I don't think installing them like that will work that way (additive memory). I think we mentioned before, or linked to a guide anyway, that mentioned the 1x120mm worth of radiator for every 100W.

The bottom line is you need to get your head together on what EXACTLY is going into it. Once you know, then you spec out your water loop. As far as what we go for... brother, we aren't you. If you prefer looks, than do it that way. If you prefer performance, shoe horn them in... but, I don't see the point of 4x Titans unless you are making money with them...

So........ figure out what is going in it and report back. Otherwise, we are kind of all over the map trying to pin this down.

sorry, the other frankenstein was built for fun. I'm dissembling it as we speak. That was built on a mining rig frame. This is going to be my everyday personal use computer. Thanks for answering, much appreciated... But I get the feeling like if I had questions about a third build we'd end up in a fist fight. I make lots of different computers. I'll take my ignorance elsewhere since it's clearly not welcome here....

I wouldn't leave... we (I) am just trying to put the pieces together so we can (all) help you out the best :). I answered all the questions I thought....I didn't know this was a different build really. :rain:

The bottom line remains the same though. Figure out what hardware is going into it GPU wise (which we can help with of course), and we can shape the loop as well. 1 Titan only? How many? This information is critical in order to give you the best advice.

My apologies if I missed anything. I was simply confused about the builds, etc.

Last edited:
All good, thank for being cool. I'm just a noob, I'm gonna ask a lot of questions that seem dumb to you. Just be prepared for that. I'm sure there's a lot an old man like me could teach you, but when it comes to computers I can't compete. I haven't even asked the basic questions like I'm about to in another thread, such as "what kind of equipment do you guys use to overclock for competition?" or "what do professional overclockers care more about overclocking- CPU, GPU, etc? and how is it tabulated?" I've got a loooootttt to learn man.

To answer your question regarding my personal build, there's just going to be 1 Titan V, because, as I learned from you and others on the other thread - if there is no way to SLI bridge them, then increasing the number of Titans really doesnt add to performance. That sucks because I have 7 Titan V's in my personal stock and would love more performance. If you told me a way that you think I could use more than 1 Titan V that would add to performance, I would love to hear it.

This will be only my second time ever water cooling anything. My first time was a pretty big project, which I told you about, but on that one I used flexible rubber tubes and didnt care at all about aesthetics. This time, I'd like to try using hard tubing (I really like a challenge, clearly.) I ordered a bunch of hard tubing off of EK's website and I have a heat gun and am watching youtubes on how to bend them. But the thing nobody addresses that I really want to know is - how the heck do you lay out your loop when using hard tubing? By the way, EarthDog, what are your feelings on hard tubing? Am I making a mistake by trying to use it? I still have plenty of rubber and compression sleeves that will fit it.

No worries.. all those questions will be answered in the appropriate thread.

Ok, cool.. so 1 Titan and one 1950X. An 850W PSU is plenty for that including overclocking and watercooling and storage expansion etc, so you are set there with the 1KW you have.

As far as hard/soft tubing. I change out my hardware way too frequently to do it so I have been soft and likely always will be (talking about tubing here.. :p). I literally have zero experience with it. Looks cool, but, just too much time and effort for me to honestly do it and again, I swap hardware waaaaaaaaay too frequently and would constantly have to rebend, etc. There is, well... hehe, little flexibility in the hard tubing :p. But if oyu plan on not tinkering for a while or don't care aobut that, go for it. It is pretty.

Also, Im almost 42... I may not be an old man, but there is quite a bit of experience under the hood and always willing to learn. :)

So I read your other thread as well about overclocking hardware. My advice, if you want to try competitive benchmarking try it with the hardware you have on hand and see if you like it. If you do enjoy it, build a dedicated rig for that and leave it out of the equation in your main rig. I got stated benching my main rig and very quickly found it was not conducive to being competitive as I was constantly having to change parts and that is hard in a water cooled system in a case especially hard lined.

As for this system, 2 Titan V may not be able to be SLId for games but if your deep learning program is capable of taking 2 independent compute units I do not see why you could not run 2 in the system for that purpose. That case also appears to be able to house 3x480 rads. That would be plenty to cool even 2 Titan Vs and the cpu and still maintain quiet operation from moderate fan speeds.

Last edited:
Hey Lochekey, thank you for your input. So I guess my next noob question is - if I’m gonna build a rig for overclocking, what would be ideal in your opinion? I have a LOT of parts on hands. Lots and lots of video cards. A lot of crazy Xeon cpu’s. Do you always recommend water cooling? Would it be wiser to use some sort of open air rig? Thanks man!

Do what you can as far as cooling, but water is better than air in most all cases.

Ideal depends. An 8700k delidded under water with a decent motherboard and fast ram is a start. You can do cpu work amd gpu work with that cpu. But really some benchmarks are better with certain parts... like the highly threaded cpu benchmarks need cores/threads. The single threaded ones need high speeds. The high core/thread cpus dont reach as far due to power and heat output...which leads us to subambient cooling methods... ;)

I do not want to muddy this thread up to much with benching related stuff so I will keep this short.

A benching setup is really whatever is convenient for you and will partially depend on what type of cooling you are using and what you plan to primarily bench CPU vs GPU.You can find some info on my home built benching setup here. IT is not pretty but it is functional. When I first moved my setups out of a case I was literally benching my setup with things just sitting on boxes and then evolved form there.

My suggestion is if you want to look at benching, then go read some of the guides in the benching area that ED linked and then start a thread in the benching area so you can get some more focused help.

You can also check out our in-house monthly benching competition here.

Back