• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

from the Past 2 the Future!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psy0p

Registered
Hi to everyone reading this!

I found this forum on google while searching for overclocking experience. I have never tried doing so myself, and I am very curious to try it out.

Currently I am in no possession of any parts of this project, and I was hoping that I could get some help with it.

I know that I want an AMD processor. It has to be cheap, and proven itself to perform stable in games, and with good overclocking results. I do not play very demanding games, but I would like to be able to play demanding games at a decent setting.

Also the motherboard has to be compatible with an future upgrade of the more expensive better AMDs when I get some more money and they drop in prices.

I want to start out with airflow, but later want to be able to upgrade it with better cooling when the overclocking time comes.

Can someone pls help me with a good cheap setup for this purpose?? I have very little knowledge about these things, but I am reading and trying to soak up as much as I am able to understand. As said I am quite new to this, and need a little guidance to avoid frustrations and delay.

And if I could get recommended a graphic card that also has some unlockable abilities would be great! would also be able to play with overclocking it in the future :)

I am currently stuck on my little brothers laptop, and he wants his back since last week .... My own laptop broke down after 3 years abuse....

Last edited:
or let me say it in other words.

You need a new PC asap, and you don't have the funds to buy the newest best.

You are loyal to AMD, and want to make a setup with alot of potentiel for upgrades in the future when the prices will fall.

You use it for everyday task. Sometimes a bit demanding programs like AutoCAD. No need to play the most demanding games at highest settings.

If you need to know something more to be able to help me better out, pls ask!

so far I have decided for these

AMD - Phenom II X4 975BE/AM3 3.6GHz 8MBL2 125W

ASRock 970 Extreme3 - Bundkort - ATX - Socket AM3+ - AMD 970

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

G.SKILL 8GB kit DDR3 1866MHz CL9 RipjawsX

Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2

Cooler Master - HAF 912 Plus

I also want SSD harddisk for my OS. I have a spare 500gb harddisk somewhere here from seagate I think. So the SSD does not need to be big and expensive.

DVD driver I can salvage from somewhere, it is not that important.

Little unsure with the graphic card. is this a good one??

ASUS EAH6670/G/DIS/1GD5 - Grafikkort - Radeon HD 6670 - 1 GB GDDR5

http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/...m_medium=edbpriserLINK&utm_campaign=EDBpriser

Last edited:
All orders have been placed, just have to be patient and wait now. Thanks for showing me the setup :)

Man, you seem to be in quite a hurry! You asked us for advice about choosing components and then you didn't give us half a chance to reply. Concerning the thermal paste, I would have suggested either Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX2 or MX4. I would also suggest when it comes time to building and/or overclocking your system you don't get in such a hurry that we don't have time to respond to your questions or you may wind up frying expensive components. People here really do want to help but they are sometimes busy with other things and can't get back to you within 5 minutes.

Last edited:
I agree "trents" sir. His first three posts were as if he were writing to himself. I showed him that configuration you made up the other day which was very good and stout, but before I could reply he had decided and gone on. I never even bothered to check to see if he ordered exactly what you suggested the other day. So much for whatever. At least he got to see a good setup like you suggested.
RGone...ster.

yea. I was in a hurry, felt pressured because I had been stalling this project for too long, and just wanted something to happen.. :-/

but must say looking backwards that I should'nt have rushed it, because I am not sure that the GPU was the right choice, I want to be able to try out having 2xgraphic card. And not sure that it even supports that feature, or how it really works...

The package has not been send though, and I am going to call them and make them hold it, so I can pick other GPU maybe. Gonna look for that paste you mentioned.

I also wanna thank you for giving this free support and help, it is much appreciated. :ty:

I am very satisfied with the CPU, and that I am able to have one before it runs out of stock. I read that it will not be produced anymore.

I think I will stay with the choice to buy the Cooler Master HAF 912 + case. Read good reviews about it, and looks like it has room for good cooling. Buy you guys are the ones who knows more about these stuff.

My budget also looks better then first assumed. So if you have any recommendations that might be better then the current ones I have, please advice me.

I called the shop, and they cancelled my order.

I will take a little more time with it now, and try and pick the most future proof and best for money value components.

the CPU and Casing has been send from other shop. and both seemed like the right choice.

the RAM is out of stock (G.SKILL 8GB kit DDR3 1866MHz CL9 RipjawsX) and will take some days, they are from a 3rd shop. And I will be able to cancel that order also and choose other RAM, if you suggest any other.

The GPU is quite important for me I found out, since I want to be able to use minimum 2 screens. And run some of the future games. I still want to keep the costs at a minimum though.

It's just I promised my little brother to return his laptop this weekend, and it will take around 5 days to recieve the components. That's why I was in such a hurry, because I wanna keep my promise, and really don't wanna spend my weekend without a PC!:-/

But rather spend a weekend without PC, then having components that I later will regret to have bought because I was in such a hurry.

I want to use this opportunity to elaborate what I had in mind concerning this project. It is going to be AMD CPU, with maybe later water cooling, crossfire or SLI (what ever is best with AMD CPU). And overclock what ever can be OCed! After a few years, I will salvage the parts that I want to be replaced, and make a secondary rig out of it.

I have no experience in overclocking tweaking and modding. I have tried to assemble a few PC's and change parts, except the MOBO. I always was intrigued by the idea to OC, but newer had the possibility to do so. And now is a good time :). And I will take the extra time it needs for it to become a succes.

So sorry again for not giving you a chance to be able to give some advice. I am all ears now :)

Last edited:
Are you in the US? If so, check out this video card deal from NewEgg. SLI, $149 after rebate.

Attachments

• video.JPG
    video.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
No, I live in Denmark. The time is 03:19 in the afternoon, and I just got home from education.

Looks very good the graphic card. And you can overclock it?? :D

But it's a bit pricy here in Denmark compared to the price you can get it for... :-(

http://www.edbpriser.dk/grafikkort/asus-engtx560-ti-dcii-top-2di-1gd5-1-gb-id-4818293.aspx

costs around 1600 danish kroner, its around 320 $ :-( I am very tempted to invest in it though. Thing is it will proberly drop in price in a few months. I rather pick it up when that happens. Or does it take long time before this GPU will fall in price u think?

I heard SLI can only be used with maximum 2 screens. is that true?

And what would is better. Crossfire or SLI?

Newegg, do they deliver to Europe??

if I could trust someone in US, they could send it to me as private package. But customs are real harsh. I lived for a while in Arizona, and I send some shoes to my brother in Germany, and they taxed them.. Proberly because the price tag was on, and it was in a box.

Gonna check out the prices in Germany also. But they proberly have German software... They translate everything! But if I can just install english language software from the internet it wouldn't be a problem..

You guys sure get components cheap. Like your gas prices are like 1/4 of our. we pay 2,50$ for each liter. As far as I remember from my time ini the States, its what you pay for a gallon, which I think is around 3,7 (??) liter.

LMFAO...... :bump:

Sorry, reading this thread has my sides splitting :rofl:

Says he wants a cheap no frills system and then as fast as a lightning bolt jumps right in ordering the most expensive parts out of the first bunch of suggestions, not even the slightest hint of any thought process...
just gimy...gimy...gimy... i want it yesterday!!!!!!!

Thats a fairly decent rig you have there so far Psy0p :)

pls look at signature below and give a comment.. This is still my first time building a decent setup

Those components look fine to me. You can save a few bucks by going with 1333 mhz ram instead of 1866. The 975 CPU you have chosen has a memory controller that is kind of week and probably won't be stable with the ram over 1333. 1866 will certainly run at 1333 but it will cost you a little more.

Like Frakk, I am a little confused at how this "good cheap setup" has evolved in cost in such an upward direction, particularly with regard to the video card and the motherboard. Well, if your wallet has gotten fatter I would certainly suggest upgrading to an 8 core bulldozer CPU and a truly high end CPU cooler like the Noctua D14 or the Corsair H100 self-contained water system.

Back