• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fruit based / Linux Tv/media Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonthunder

Soon its been a while since I've posted something! As some of you know im building a fruit based computer Which is still on the go! Money is limited and im going Ryzen...... anyways

Im now working with another fruit based machine but going down the linux route and creating a mini media pc from my old Power Book G4

It still works really well and boots up every time, its been through loads and been amazing all the 14 years I've had it. Its just to many problems with the battery and charging. It works fine from the power cable though so as its kinda retired I thought I'd give it a new lease of life and create something awesome!

g4powerrbook2.jpg g4powerbook.jpg

*G4 Specs* and upgrad plans and sketches to follow shortly!

Soon its been a while since I've posted something! As some of you know im building a fruit based computer Which is still on the go! Money is limited and im going Ryzen...... anyways

Im now working with another fruit based machine but going down the linux route and creating a mini media pc from my old Power Book G4

It still works really well and boots up every time, its been through loads and been amazing all the 14 years I've had it. Its just to many problems with the battery and charging. It works fine from the power cable though so as its kinda retired I thought I'd give it a new lease of life and create something awesome!

View attachment 193743View attachment 193744

So here are some of the specs

20171001_182218.jpg 20171001_182330.jpg

As you caan see the old girl isnt upto todays standards so the plan is as follows

Create a custome case (sketches to follow)

Upgrade memory to maximum amount

New graphics card 2GB should be enough will be looking at to what can hardwire into it.

SSD

Keep existing hard drive / possibly add another.

blue ray drive

Also look at better cooling options

Think thats it for now.

lol @ fruit based, it's OK to admit to having an Apple computer here. ;) Linux runs great on the Intel-Macs, I do believe I did use Linux on a PowerPC based Mac, at one time.

Not sure if you can upgrade the GeForce FX Go5200, isn't it part of the logic board?

I have a white polycarb Macbook that has display issues, I love that machine, trying to sell it on ebay for parts. If it doesn't sell, I may get a Vertical Docking Station for it, and use it to power the 42" screen in front of my elliptical .

20171001_191015.jpg

A quick sketch that probly wont make sense to people lol i need to draw it up better on computer.

Also can anyone recomend a simple 3d software?

lol @ fruit based, it's OK to admit to having an Apple computer here. ;) Linux runs great on the Intel-Macs, I do believe I did use Linux on a PowerPC based Mac, at one time.

Not sure if you can upgrade the GeForce FX Go5200, isn't it part of the logic board?

I have a white polycarb Macbook that has display issues, I love that machine, trying to sell it on ebay for parts. If it doesn't sell, I may get a Vertical Docking Station for it, and use it to power the 42" screen in front of my elliptical .
It can be upgraded from what I've read to 128mb but i need abit more than that.

Plus with abit of tinkering anything can be done.

Also forgot to mention im doing this with used parts on the cheap :)

So I've attached a better layout of how i want it to roughly look, I had thought similar to my ps4.

Also im gonna be jerry rigging a graphics card into it :D about 2GB all depends if existing psu can handle it. I've got more research to do.

I'll know more once it's torn down, got my measurements of components etc

the ifixit website is fantastic as it got all the diagrams for taking it apart with out ****ing it up (hopefully)

media-centre.gif

Last edited:
Been looking into upgrading the GPU but its gonna be hard as it's incorporated into the motherboard.
So the option is use one of these and connect it via the PCI slot that is currently occuppied by the airport express card. Good thing is the media centre will be connected by ethernet and I can always rig a usb wifi adapter should i need wifi.

s-l1600-2.jpg

I'm looking at boosting it with a 1GB card its purely for resolution on the tv and give it a little boost, It's only going to be used for streaming so something like a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 5450 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card - Passive - DVI VGA HDMI main reason for the AMD card is compatibility (hopefully)

On top of this I'm going to look at power delivery....... so time for more research!!
s-l1600-3.jpg

Back