• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Full Tower + Power supply choice - Need Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T.N.Tee

Registered
I'm building a new Gaming PC and i was wondering if i should bother getting a sophisticated Full tower instead of just a cheap one... this is my rig's spec:
ASUS P8P67 Pro B3 revision version (normal size ATX version) // i5-2500K 3,3 GHz // Corsair Dominator (+FAN) 2133 MHz 2x2 GB // [ASUS] ATI Radeon HD 6970 2 GB DDR5 // Power Supply: Haven't decided yet! Keep in mind that i will 100% Crossfire in the future as well...! (NO additional cooling system connected to any parts so far)

I will difenately consider overclocking parts now and then...according to needs. So..what do you think? Does it actually affect the air cyrclulation THAT much by the way?

Also, If you could suggest a few power supplies for my rig i would be more than grateful...

Last edited:
As for a power supply stick with corsair or seasonic...
Don't go out and buy the cheapest case possible because there are a lot of factors that come into effect when choosing a case.. Try to stick with name brands and you can pick up a decent case for about 60 buck ( antec 300)..

Thoughts for what case to choose

1-Size and what kind of heat sink are you running or going to run?
2-Top or bottom mounted psu??
3- Are u worried about cable management?
4- Painted inside or not ???
5-water cooling ??
6- Are you looking for high air flow or just ok or does not matter??
7-what size of case are you looking to use??
8-side vent,window,or just plain???
9- looking to add more fans or not???

If your going to crossfire, an 850 watt to 950 watt power supply will most likley be enough with the 6900 series video cards. +1 for corsair. Their PSU's are the best on the market right now.

The case depends on your price range and the above mentioned questions from Torque.

AT 850 Corsair Gold is my choice of power supplies. Everything in a computer starts with the power supply. That's one place I don't cut cost. I'm looking at my new AT850 on my desk, waiting for my new case. Corsair 600T.

+1 to basically everything said so far here. There are a lot of good cases out there on the market these days, and it just depends on what you want out of it. If you give a general price range, I am sure you will get many suggestions. I love my NZXT Phantom case, but its not for everyone :)

well im buying the DF-85 soon and have only herd good things, however it's not cheap coming in AT £120 from ebuyer if your looking for a good psu im currently using the fatal1ty 750w but depending on your future needs this may not be enough its not bad on price costing £70 however its now out of stock form ebuyer and most other retailers will charge about £80-95.

AX850

HAF X

800D

...would be my suggestions, HAF is about $100 cheaper than the 800D and moves air like crazy, so with that in mind, the HAF would be my pick. :thup:

Heh...was just reading somewhere that the HAF X is frying Mobo's due to a faulty firewire connection...so...maybe wait a bit on that one. :-/

Last edited:
Heh...was just reading somewhere that the HAF X is frying Mobo's due to a faulty firewire connection...so...maybe wait a bit on that one. :-/

Any chance you have a link to support this statement? It seems like a very bold claim, considering the amount of people here running the HAF-X, and I haven't noticed any posts of the problem you speak of here yet.

heh...I think it is a hit or miss type of thing due to the manufacturing of the individual case from what I gather. On some it is an issue, on most it is not, I was reading the 1 star reviews on Newegg which is why I looked further into it. Most of the complaints are from Q4 '10 but some are as recent as 3/11.

Overclock.net thread about it.: "I think I found cause of our problems. I disassemble front panel and it is visible "design flaw" on our HAF-X case. Red wire that goes to LED switch has broken isolation because of sharp pins from front panel motherboard on which front firewire is connected. In other words, when front firewire is connected to mobo and when LED switch is turned on, LED switch wire directly touches one sharp pin from firewire front connector and there we have short circuit causing firefire chipset burnout on mobo."

But, because I have the habit of not reading the latest posts...it seems CM has addressed the issue by adding a plastic backplate on the panel. So the newer runs should not be so afflicted. I would just check if you decide to go with this case to make sure it isn't backstock, I would imagine a high-volume retailer such as Newegg would be safe.. But then, as I said, it seems to be, even with the older run models to be a hit or miss problem. :thup:

Last edited:
Back