• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future-proofed Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I suppose they would be fine. My sister doesn't overclock, but when I put her computer together, mosfet cooling was a keypoint in my motherboard choice because I wanted 24/7 reliability and longevity.
Exactly! I mean, sure, if you're throwing together a stock gaming rig or something to surf/e-mail with then use whatever you like - cheaper is better. But for my piece of mind on an office machine I would want everything cooled.

The problem with not having coolers is a matter of maintenance, and office machines seldom get any. They get assembled then used for years and they're expected to continue functioning. You may not need the extra heatsinks right now but in a year or so when the dust bunnies have a thriving colony inside the case you'll be thankful you've got the extra cooling capacity ...

So the moral of the story is to keep your machine clean. I blow mine out about once a week or so. It's no big deal. If you simply make a schedule to do it then it's not a big deal. Honestly those aftermarket coolers are cheap as well.

I simply have a hard time believing that my motherboard is going to fail prematurely just because it doesn't have mosfet cooling. I have touched them and they are never even hotter than plain old warm (if that). So for me it's not even an issue.

Is mosfet cooling better? Of course.

Is it absolutely necessary for a cheaper build. I don't believe so.

Of course time will tell with my board.

So the moral of the story is to keep your machine clean. I blow mine out about once a week or so. It's no big deal. If you simply make a schedule to do it then it's not a big deal. Honestly those aftermarket coolers are cheap as well.

I simply have a hard time believing that my motherboard is going to fail prematurely just because it doesn't have mosfet cooling. I have touched them and they are never even hotter than plain old warm (if that). So for me it's not even an issue.

Is mosfet cooling better? Of course.

Is it absolutely necessary for a cheaper build. I don't believe so.

Of course time will tell with my board.
If you keep your board clean with weekly maintenance then it's not an issue. For an office environment you're paying someone to clean (even if it's yourself), which means, in the long run, the MOSFET coolers are saving money ...

IF your board comes without them buy some of those little video cards ram sinks and toss them on there...just an idea. :chair:

Just remember also that a heatsink coated with dust will not work well either. Dust simply acts like a blanket on top of whatever it coats.

Still though, it's like adding more water to a loop. It is a material that can hold just as much heat as the the mosfets hold so having them will lower mosfet temps. Even with a blanket on them, there will still be heat held by the heatsinks that will in the end keep the mosfets cooler than without.

Just remember also that a heatsink coated with dust will not work well either. Dust simply acts like a blanket on top of whatever it coats.
We can chase this all year but it will still come back to better cooling with heatsinks any way you want to cut it. If there's dust then dust-coated heatsinks will still cool better than bare, dust-coated chips ... :shrug:

Back