• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Holyshinji

Intel i5-2500K $219
Asus P8P67-Deluxe-V3 $285
corsair 1000HX $302
8G Kit 2133 G.Skill Ripjaws-X $119
2GB 6970 Gigabyte $355
Kingston 2.5” SV100S2 64G $110
Patriot Torqx2 128M Buffer 128GB $225
SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID 500GB $119
Seagate SATA3 1T $57
Seagate SATA3 2T $88

Current total $1879

Ok I am going to be building another comp in the near future, and my current list of parts at as above, not all hdds will be in there from start and i'm looking at future upgrade for this rig.
I'm a bit iffy about the hybrid drive i couldn't find any soild review on it so would like some personal takes on it, and also anything i could probly swap out.
This stuff is going in the CoolerMaster Haf-X RC942 case and will probly be water cooled just for amusment purposes.

My pricing for my parts is basicly the Australian average prices I found.

So any advise would be helpful cheers. :salute: :D

I would go with a different SSD. Kingston is one of the lower rated ssd's out thier, also I would go with 120gb, the bigger ssd's are usually faster and you will want to install some of your games and apps on there that you use more often as load times are much faster.

A couple things...

1. I agree with Mikester above in getting a better SSD. The new Intel line or OCZ Vertex/Agility 3 are on my short list.
2. Are you running a multi monitor setup or a 2560x1600 monitor? If not, get rid of one 6970. No need at 1920x1200/1080.
2a. If you go one card, drop down your PSU to Corsair 750HX/TX
3. Most dont need 8GB. If you do, you do. I also wouldnt bother with 2133 Mhz ram. first, you wont notice its speed, you will notice hte high price. Second is that it will be more difficult to stablize 8GB at 2133Mhz. Grab some DDR3 1600 CL7 instead.

This is all in AUD. I don't know why you needed so many drives, so I just threw in 2 2TBs and a 120GB SSD.

Btw, if you were wondering, the site is pccasegear.com

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 89
I would personally lose the 2x2TB, get 1x 3TB, the OCZ Agility 3, and a 20GB mediocre SSD to use ISRT and cache the 3TB drive.

That'll make for a much faster 'data drive' for your system. Might as well use ISRT. It's there.

Ok well here are my two main supply locations,
http://www.pcdiy.com.au/ad/Pricelist.pdf
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Online shiping isn't an option for me and also I used to do the warrenty for the company that these guys buy from so I know the processes inside and out and still have a couple of friends that work there and can speed up the process incase anything brakes on me.

I am sorry to say but the newegg prices dont apply to over here and makes it harder to find the parts at a decent price/parts.

The reason for the 1TB and 2TB are for seperate storage of none important, movies images, stuff I wont be accessing to often once i've seen it once. That and I'm also a bit of a weirdo and dont like to partition drives lol. The 2 SSD 60GB for OS/core programs only basicly, the 128GB for very common programs some games but will probly be starting to edit videos sounds.

Question Since I haven't been focused on computers in awhile I can't recall or know a fair few things (got hit by a bus a couple of months ago)
1. What is ISRT ?
2. with the Hybrid drives, has anyone got one/tested one and can give me there take on them. (I was going to use it as the main game drive)

$219 Intel i5-2500K
$275 Asus P8P67-Deluxe-V3 or Z68X-UD4-B3 $221
$302 corsair 1000HX or 850HX $223
$119 8G Kit 2133 G.Skill Ripjaws-X or G.Skill Ripjaws-X DDR3 1600 8G $99
$355 2GB 6970 Gigabyte
$149 60GB OCZ VERTEX 2
$255 Patriot Torqx2 128M Buffer 128GB or 120GB OCZ AGILITY 3 $269
$119 SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID 500GB
$88 WD Black 1TB
$165 WD Black 2TB

Last edited:
IRST and Hybrid Drives are basically the same thing. Take an SSD and use it as a cache for the spinning platter. Basically it analyzes what you access the most and puts that on the SSD, and the rest of the data is on the platter, so everything feels faster. The Hybrid does it at once. What IRST is is that it's part of the Z68 chipset. Hybrid Drive is on device, IRST is a software solution that works MUCH better with two seprate drives.

IRST requires a Z68 motherboard.

IMO get one 120GB SATA III SSD for your OS and core/important programs, keep games and other stuff on a fast 500GB Caviar Black cached with a really cheap old 20GB SSD, then get a new 3TB drive for storage.

The Agility 3 is WAY faster then the Vertex 2. Why would you get a last gen drive?

The Agility 3 is WAY faster then the Vertex 2. Why would you get a last gen drive?

Simple answer is the price, I'm not made of money and i still haven't even added up the other costs of spare case, monitors water cooling system.
Then I've still got to pay all my bills any what not.

The price difference is pretty minimal, only $15 here in the US. And by WAY faster I'm talking about almost double the raw speed. 500MB/s RW.

You said online shopping isn't an option? Why's that? I use PC Case Gear myself. (www.pccasegear.com) and I'm from Sydney, Aus.

A Asus P67 Pro would do you fine over that deluxe IMO.

By the way, I have a Seagate Momentus XT. It was disappointing to me. It'd be best used in a laptop with a slow mechanical drive IMO. Sure, it reacts faster than any normal mechanical drive, but fact is it still has to spin up, just like a normal disk drive. I've got two main rigs, one has the Momentus XT as it's boot/main drive, and one (in my sig) has the SSD. The SSD thrashes it in performance. If you want to use a SSD for a boot drive (say 60GB), do that, and put the games on a WD Black or something. The WD black has faster transfer rates over the Seagate for sure.

As for the graphics card:VTX3D HD 6950 2GB

Save some money here. Get this card, and flash it to 6970 shaders. Easily done. Or if you want a custom cooler, there is the.. :MSI Power Edition HD6950, which can also flash to a HD6970 (though apparently there is a custom bios mod for it that's safer/better for it?)

HX-850 for PSU is my take.

The Agility 3 is also a good option. Though note, that PC Case Gear is getting in stock some Crucial SSDs too, which might be another option to look at.

SSD Drives are the boot drives the Hybrid drive was my secondary games drive, for what I've gathered over a little of time is when the hybird drive becomes more apparent I'm just going to get it anyway so i can understand it a bit better then just talking about it.(LOVES SPARE PARTS)

Shoping online for me generaly isn't a problem but it's the fact I like to be able to go to the guy that sold me a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty device and beat him over the head with it and then talk to the vendors myself to get it replaced right away.
So since I'm building the rig in one go I want to go and buy it all on the spot at once and not wait a couple of days for postage, cause in the time period of postage I could find something else I wanted/needed or better and then be pissed that it's already on the way. Also I can check the parts in the shop to make sure there isn't anything damaged in what not, cause if I take it home and open it up and there are some nice big scratches on it, then most of the time it will be rejected by warrenty because of the physical damage.(Done it to alot of people, some of the stories they come up with though are pretty funny)

Knufire suggested ISRT and it might be a good idea to give it a try, maybe with a 1TB then a 500GB.
This rig for the first few months is going to be a bit of a muck around while I try things out, after all this comes case modding cause by that time i should be back at work and have access to alot more toys and items.

Last edited:
Back