• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FuZion, one complaint

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deeppow

Just replaced a Storm with a FuZion and have one complaint about mounting. The two barbs to too close together. Using the 1/2" barbs and Clearflex tubing it is a bit** to get my hose clamps down. I'm using clamps that look like this although mine look thicker than the ones shown. You need clamps that are thin. Guess I can go back to the metal clamps. :-/

Instead of clamps you could use a couple zipties. I don't use any clamps/ties in my system. 7/16" tygon over 1/2" metal barbs all around.

Eh, they've never leaked on me. You just have to use more than one, in different directions. Zipties also make for good ghetto coolsleeves.

Metal worm drive clamps can sometimes bunch up tubing and create a leak, I've had that happen on a maze4 and 6800ultra (good thing for distilled water)

If you use metal worm drive clamps, you just have to be sure that you don't over tighten them. As for zip ties, I am sure that they would work. Sometimes I use small rubber bands if I am not getting a perfect seal and they do the trick.

In my experience zip ties are iffy on 1/2" ID tubing on 1/2" barbs... however, zip ties work great on 7/16 ID tubing.

tubingnew.jpg

besides zipties, someone post pics of your other clamp types please...i'm interested in seeing what folks are using.

Nikhsub, are those EK barbs? And have you tried zip ties on regular barbs? The high shelf on a standard barb would make zip ties a more effective than on the barb in your pic which appears to have a lower shelf.

UBERCOOL said:
Nikhsub, are those EK barbs? And have you tried zip ties on regular barbs? The high shelf on a standard barb would make zip ties a more effective than on the barb in your pic which appears to have a lower shelf.
The barbs on the G5 are actually some 5/8 OD barbs from Taiwan... they are the nicest barbs I have ever seen too, with 7/16" tubing the zip ties work just fine. All the other barbs are EK barbs.

I used worm drives on my last rig and it was a pain in the neck for no real improvement. I used the swiftech plastic rachet clamps that came with my apex kit and mcw60 block and i love them, they work well and are relatively easy to remove.

ok, i know what stainless steel 'worm' clamps are, and i understand the ziptie idea...but what are these plastic rachet clamps? anyone have a picture or a link?

I always, and will always use spring clamps. They never let go, always giving tension.
They do not depend on your tubing being elastic forever, they are they're own spring.
You can paint them any color.
They're a cinch to remove with a pair of needle nose pliers..from odd angles too.

http://home.wmis.net/~jberg/TubingClamps.jpg

Why not overtighten the metal clamps? I have an inkling of not to overtighten, I've worked on my car before and it was a similar concept.... but itw as something about tubes cracking after long term use, dunno if it's the same in this scenario?

Stick with metal clamps, just clamp and don't have to worry. Zip ties make me nervous.

I have Jubilee clips (you all seem to call them worm clamps??) on my Swiftech MCP655:
cljuboo1234zp.jpg

The Swiftech clamps on the Apogee and Rad:
22498.jpg

I use 11.2mm Tygon over 15mm barbs. Its a fit that is an absolute arse to achieve, but its tighter than hell!

Im not kidding, I spent ages getting the tubing over the barbs, and clamped them down. Once I got the tubing on the res barbs. I wasn't happy with one of the tube angles, so attempted to pull the hose off. Im a monumental mason by trade so I'm rather stern:blush:, and I could NOT pull the hose off!!!

Needless to say I didnt bother clamping them down, its really a super tight fit.

With the FuZion barbs spacing and a typical tube thickness the problem of course is the thickness of the clamp. I don't trust zip ties. The problem of course is the thickness of the clamp wall. Can't really find anybody that tells me that info but I would bet they're all about the same.

I think I'll try to grid off a little wall thickness on the plastic clamps. As long as I don't twist I'm willing to bet they can take the hoop stress. I'll test for awhile first, OBVIOUSLY. No need to put it on the mobo to start.

Wow, the green zip ties look pretty in there Nik.

Another option, deeppow, would be some RTV silicone. Putting some between the dry barb and tubing should keep it on there and seal it. Rotating the tube and pulling would still break it free.

Back