• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6300 OC Boot Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yer I could of worded it better, it's not that I'm 100% against it, it's just that it defeats my initial point of the build. I've just been in contact with Gigabyte support and the guy was generally pretty useless and spoke very broken English but he stated that the boot loop was "normal for initializing overclock". I'm not sure whether he's right or not but I've never had this with another motherboard and don't know whether he's just trying to get rid of me as a problem customer.

That's what I said earlier, one of the forums I frequent has a few Giga users and they all report the dame thing. When overclocked the board loops at start up. They all say the same thing aside from being a bit of a nuisance the board works fine and the OCs are stable.

Oh well. I shall have to learn to live with it then I guess, I think it will irritate me too much to ship the mobo and cpu back to amazon for a refund. I'm incredibly happy with the FX 6300 as well, can't notice the difference between it and my 4.5ghz i5 3570k in most games.

Cheers for all your help guys anyway, seems there is no easy fix for Gigabyte =P

Thanks BlueFalcon...

It is a pretty far reaching GIGA problem. A number of their mobo models.
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=12510.0
Vcore problem with a 990FXA-UD3
This double boot problem occurs only when my cpu is overclocked (my cpu is a FX8350 btw). Which mean that even with a 115€ mobo, I just can't overclock my cpu correctly. Fine.

Another person on a french forum, who have the axact same mobo/cpu, told me that he doesn't got this dual boot problem. But his mobo is in rev1.2, mine is rev3.0.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1694267/gigabyte-990fxa-ud3-mobo-loop-boot.html

ok, i changed my memory timing settings, i left xmp disabled and manually changed my clock to 9.33 at 1866mhz. that stopped my loop boot on my memory so thank you, but i still get a loop boot if i disable turbo core, im trying to overlock to 4.6ghz at 1.456V. i know im stable at that because ive done a prime test for 8 hours, 22.5x multiplier, but in order to stop my loop boot i have to enable turbo core, which only maxes to 4.1ghz, even if i enable 22.5 multiplier on my turbo core, so i have to have it disabled in order for me to reach my full 4.6ghz. so i guess my question would be... why is disabling turbo core boost causing my loop boot on cold start?, like i said, it only loops one time, then boots into windows, it doesnt seem to do any harm but to me its just not right, again thanks for posting that timing link, it helped me out alot

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739528
Cold Boot - FX-6350 when I restart my computer it completely shuts off for about 3 seconds and then powers back on. Is this normal? or have I done something wrong?

See post #8.

This sort of crap is why we only recommend boards that we have extensive good experience with. How in hale you going to overclock sumbeeatch when you have TurboCore enabled? CrapOLa.
RGone...ster.

This sort of crap is why we only recommend boards that we have extensive good experience with. How in hale you going to overclock sumbeeatch when you have TurboCore enabled? CrapOLa.
:)

Bah. Oh well, it's going to drive me slowly insane but I don't have much choice heh, at least when it's on it IS ON. Ultimately it's better than taking the overclock off, the day I use 'turbo core' is the day I go full on console gamer. Last time I buy a Gigabyte board, back to ASUS I go (building gf's new pc in a few weeks).

Shame too, the performance from this build has been outstanding as well.

Not sure if anyone is interested but I found the culprit. Core Performance Boost (or whatever it's called in Bios) was the issue, the first thing I turn off when I overclock heh. I've the the multiplier to the same as my overclock (23) and enabled it. Will this be ok? It boots instantly now with no boot loop.

Maybe / Maybe n0t...

AMD AM3+ TurboCore technology aKa CPB – Core Performance Boost on most GIGA AM3+ motherboards.

On Asus and Asrock boards that I have tested we generally turn off TurboCore aKa Core Performance Boost. We also enable HPC (high performance computing) and disable APM (application power management) to allow ALL cores to run whatever overclock we are running and n0t throttle under load.

GIGA has been back and forth messing with bios menu choices for what the board will do with FX processor in cpu socket.

An example of the 990FX UD5 in early revisions:
I couldn’t locate the “HPC Mode” parameter in the mainboard BIOS, which is supposed to prevent the CPU frequency from dropping to 3.3 GHz under heavy load. However, the beta versions of the F7 BIOS have an “AMD APM Master Mode” parameter in the “Advanced BIOS Features” section, which can serve the same purpose. If you disable it, Turbo technology will stop working, so it doesn’t suit too well for prevention of the frequency drop in the nominal mode, unlike the “HPC Mode” option. But it will do just fine during overclocking, because in this case we disable the Turbo technology anyway.

Now what I wrote about how we setup the Asrock and Asus AM3+ motherboards applies to the Asus Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 and the Asus CHV-z and non-z. What I wrote also applies to the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional and the 990FX EXT 9 motherboard. All four of those boards have what we have come to expect as normal operating bios menu choices for OverClocking ALL cores of an FX processor and stopping the processor from throttling back the multiplier and cpu speed under heavy load.

Where GIGA has walked off the expected path is in putting one or the other of those menu choices in bios and made use or non-use disable the other and then bring about Boot-Looping for you. That sucketh large.

Now that you must enable CPB to stop boot loop, what you need to do is Load the cpu/board with a run of P95 Blend mode and at the same time go into Windows Task Manager and look at the Performance Tab and ensure that ALL cores are actually being
overclocked. It should show any cores not fully overclocked but lagging back due to how normal TurboCore and/or CPB are supposed to work according to AMD spec.

If all cores are on under the load of P95 Blend mode and enabling CPB and choosing the multiplier you want and saving and exitting bypasses the dropping of cores to slower speed under heavy load then you may be golden.
RGone...ster.

Yer I already tried that, wasn't good. Kept the exact same overclock, just changed the CPB from 'Disabled' to 'Auto' (only other option) and entered x23 for the multiplier (same as my OC). Didn't change anything else, yet for some reason it was running around 6c hotter on the socket and it would aternate between the 5/6th core failing in Prime95 blend and small tests. I up'd the voltage and played around the LLC but it failed again, eventually it got to the point where the heat was getting too close for comfort so I sacked it off.

I could reduce the overclock I guess from 4.6ghz and find a stable one but at this point it's a trade off - accept the boot loop and keep the OC for performance (which I do notice) or quicker boot times and drop some performance.

Any suggestions as to how I could maybe keep the CPB on AND keep it stable would be awesome...

Any suggestions as to how I could maybe keep the CPB on AND keep it stable would be awesome...
Truthfully get another board we know works. Did a little more searching for you.

See post by that user as it is fairly current and not very old.
paitjsu sadff April 22, 2014 6:01:04 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2114075/overclocking-amd-8350-gigabyte-970a-ud3p.html

You might even see if you can contact him and see what bios version he is in fact using. By intent, I have no gigabyte AM3+ mobo nor intend to have one, so am doing legwork to help that any can do in g00gle. Perhaps a specific bios works better but have no idea since don't have the board to test various bios versions on. Luck man. They make boards though that don't have the issue and that might be the best fix because it has been a fix for many all along.
RGone...

I have a tomshardware acc so I'll send him a message and see if he gets the double boot. I realise that swapping the mobo would be idea but financially it isn't for me sadly, I could return it but I'm struggling to justify the hassle to myself. Thanks for the help though. I've trawled through a lot of **** looking for solutions, reddit turns out a few people having the issue but with no success.

I am guessing you live somewhere in EU country and they have different RMA situations. You say it will drive you insane double booting, hassle might prove better than insanity. I have seen boards do that double boot before and it took the company writing a new bios to fix it and that took a long time. In this case Giga has seemed completely disassociated from their customers.

Maybe contacting that user thru your acc there will prove helpful. If it does please give us a heads up since we see few giga boards in here and the majority are knee deep in some problem or other over the last 18 mos since Giga dropped the 970-UD3 Rev. 1.1.
RGone...

I am guessing you live somewhere in EU country and they have different RMA situations. You say it will drive you insane double booting, hassle might prove better than insanity. I have seen boards do that double boot before and it took the company writing a new bios to fix it and that took a long time. In this case Giga has seemed completely disassociated from their customers.

Maybe contacting that user thru your acc there will prove helpful. If it does please give us a heads up since we see few giga boards in here and the majority are knee deep in some problem or other over the last 18 mos since Giga dropped the 970-UD3 Rev. 1.1.
RGone...

Well I've just 100% solved it, prime 95 tested it for over an hour whilst watching GoT heh, not a single issue. Boots up first time as well. I enabled the 'Core Performance Boost' like last time, except I was reading up on the other options and came across 'HPC Mode' and realised what it does (not going to bother explaining it since you will no doubt know what it does better than me). Anyway, methodically I thought it might be worth a shot enabling it with the mind it might counter balance the issues I had with CPB turned on alone. Sure enough it does. Last time I consistently failed Prime95 within 20 minutes no matter what clock speed or voltages, this time I kept my normal OC of 4.6ghz and 1.4v (I also have a slight PLL increase) and it's perfect.

Good deal man. I kept wondering if HPC was there to enable since it was mentioned in most of the links and is one thing we do turn on in bios of Asus if there. Glad it seems sorted and the P95 fail is not doing so right now. That is super strange that it would fail from HPC off but heck if it does and now it does n0t...heck yeah.
RGone...ster.

Back